Topics

WWCS First tasting of the season! Portuguese Wines

Ken Sanford

All

For our first class of the season we will taste some of the often-overlooked wines of Portugal. Portugal possesses a large number of native grape varieties, producing a wide array of different Portuguese wines. A unique hallmark of Portuguese wines is the absence of widespread use of international grapes such as Cabernet Sauvignon and Chardonnay.

The wines we will be tasting are from indigenous grapes, including Encrusado, Antao Vaz, Alicante Bouschet, and Touriga Nacional. (Note that this tasting will not include Ports or Madieras, those wonderful Portuguese fortified wines.)

There will be two whites and three reds. The wines will be accompanied by two specially selected cheese and the usual crusty baguettes.

We will begin at the usual time of 7:45 PM at Saint Patrick's Episcopal Church at 4700 Whitehaven Parkway, NW, Washington, DC.

This will be a $25 tasting

Ken Sanford