Topics

Reminder: Rosso di Montalcino - September 17, 2019

Tom Ahern Jr.

The district surrounding the small Tuscan hill town of Montalcino is the finest location on earth for the Sangiovese grape. Sangiovese is the sole grape used in the production of Brunello di Montalcino, one of Italy's greatest red wines. It is also the sole grape in Rosso di Montalcino, a wine that offers much of the taste and heft of Brunello in a youthful, approachable, and considerably more affordable package.

On Tuesday, September 17th, we'll sample Rosso di Montalcino from five excellent small producers who export little or none of their production to the United States. Generous pricing on the part of friends in Montalcino permitted direct shipment of the wines for this tasting.

The countryside around Montalcino is remarkably varied, and the grapes ripen in very different ways in different parts of the district. Both Brunello and Rosso can range from rich, smooth, and powerful to lean, structured, and elegant. Differences in microclimates, geological substrates, vineyard altitudes, and aging techniques will enable Tuesday's Rossos to present you with five distinct variations on the theme of delicious.

For Joanie and me, Rosso di Montalcino is a great personal favorite. We hope you will enjoy these wines as much as we do.

This will be a $25 tasting. The wines will be accompanied by two fine cheeses -- Pecorino Toscano and Grana Padano -- and baguettes.

We'll start at 7:45 pm at Saint Patrick's Episcopal Church, 4700 Whitehaven Parkway in northwest DC.

Tom Ahern
_
_._,_._,_