Microwave Link Coordination

Randy Neals

Edited

Repeater Site Linking was at one time primarily accomplished on the 70cm band, and WWARA coordination polices allow for coordination of Link Frequencies, typically between repeater sites.

The explosion of WiFi device availability, and the availability of Wireless Internet Service Provider equipment has opened up our Microwave bands, but particularly the 13cm, 5cm, 3cm, and 1.2cm Amateur Bands.

There is merit in having a coordination body record and document these fixed location links, particularly as we use wide bandwidth modulation (5MHz, 10MHz, 20 MHz) and have a growing number of these links, which may lead to greater chance of interference.

I would like to propose that the topic of Amateur Microwave Band Link Frequency Coordination be added to a future WWARA meeting agenda, and that we consider the application of WWARA's existing coordination policy on fixed station links, including multipoint sectors that support multiple remote fixed sites.

Effectively, we still do repeater site linking, but it's become digital, and moved to microwave bands. Frequency coordination would allow for greater success in having multiple parties build microwave backbones between fixed sites, and to serve fixed location amateur stations.

Join wwara@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.