CQWW-CW 2022 - K7VIT

Gerald Wilson

Andy and all,

Here are the results (below) from K7VIT--SO(A) AB HP.  As alluded by others, CW is not my native language.   But each outing is more fun and I believe I'm making progress.

In a wry humorous sense for traveling trophy purposes, I got beat out on one DX QSO first by KI7Y and then by KN7K.  Finally, I came in 3rd place.  At the time, I thought what are the chances of that?--I thought 3 in a row, WVDXC must still be well represented even with 3 of our heavy-hitters out of town.

Thank you to WS7L, KN7K, for the double mults and WI7N for the Zone mult.   I did a little figuring and those 3 QSO's with mults gave me an additional 4,500+ points.  Thanks guys!

Regarding that Zn. 31 call, discussed above, one time I heard him calling CQ.  In the listen/copy carefully category--He repeated his Zn. 31 call multiple times and on the last repeat added "/W7."  I hope that doesn't bite the other OPs with an NIL or otherwise busted callsign.

Unfortunately, I was unable to work the guys at K8H, but there were still lots of surprises and fun.

73,

    Jerry   K7VIT

------------------------

Contest: CQWWCW
 Band     QSOs     Pts   ZN  Cty
   1.8       1       2    1    1
   3.5       8      16    3    2
     7      62     168   17   23
    14      55     154   16   24
    21      82     238   14   18
    28      38     103   11   11
 Total     246     681   62   79
Score: 96,021

Gene Bartsch

Hi Jerry,

I was pleased to provide that zone mult to you since it was also a zone mult for ME.  I neglected working several zones, especially on 160, that I could have worked easily because I didn't want to bother the east-coast U.S. stations involved and didn't hear any VE stations.  This zero-point issue really needs to be addressed and fixed, as others in the club have recently noted.

Looks like I worked K8H on 40, 20, and 15.  Heard them on 80 and 10, but lots of people were calling, and I didn't feel like hanging around and fighting the pile-ups for additional Q's with them.

Guess I worked the usual stations on six bands, 160 through 10, including KH6LC, PJ2T, JA3YBK and a few others.

73,

Gene, WI7N

[...]

Sergey, KN7K

Jerry,
Thanks a lot for all spots, you are the best with spotting club members in every Contest!
Sergey, KN7K

Jim Cassidy

One thing to remember about KH7X/W7 is that he was sending zone 3 which would be the determining factor for his location.
I think possibly the contest rules required the /W7.
This is proof that one should always log what is sent.

73 KI7Y

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022, 5:50 PM Gerald Wilson <gtwilson@...> wrote:

[...]

Tree

KH7X should get a stateside call if he wants to work this contest seriously.

Otherwise, he should always send a callsign that accurately represents his country.  He probably got spotted as KH7X enough times to have a lot of USA callers and that is why he blew a fuse and wouldn't work any more of them.

Easy solution - but not sure he will do anything about it.

Tree

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 7:50 PM Jim Cassidy <jimki7y@...> wrote:
[...]

He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Scott Rosenfeld

KH7X participates in a large number of contests.
It's a contest club with KH6ND as the trustee.
Usually they're in Arizona, which is indeed confusing.

Sometimes they will sign KH7X/W7, but not always.

It makes me wonder why, if it's going to be used primarily in Arizona, they don't just create a new club based in Arizona.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Jim Cassidy

As Scott said KH7X is pretty active.  I did think it could have been confusing that he only added the /W7 after sending the call 2 or 3 times.  Also fairly fast speed which could have been a problem for the CW challenged

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:24 AM Scott Rosenfeld <ars.n7ji@...> wrote:
KH7X participates in a large number of contests.
It's a contest club with KH6ND as the trustee.
Usually they're in Arizona, which is indeed confusing.

Sometimes they will sign KH7X/W7, but not always.

It makes me wonder why, if it's going to be used primarily in Arizona, they don't just create a new club based in Arizona.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Jim Cassidy

Does anyone have advice about how to choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact?

I usually pick a big gun or someone I know.

Sometimes those QSOs can become excessive.  At KT7E in the WW SSB we had a large number of those and probably many really did not need zone 3

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Tree

One strategy is to just call CQ until whatever you need calls you and move on.

Typically, it doesn't take too long.

But yes - working someone you know, or a big gun is normally no issue.

Tree

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:44 AM Jim Cassidy <jimki7y@...> wrote:
Does anyone have advice about how to choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact?

I usually pick a big gun or someone I know.

Sometimes those QSOs can become excessive.  At KT7E in the WW SSB we had a large number of those and probably many really did not need zone 3

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Ka6bim

Jim, I usually try for a Canadian in the zone, but you are on the right track with someone you know or work regularly. Especially if you are primarily S&P.  If you are calling CQ, they will usually come to you.   I work anyone who calls me, it is quick and gets them out of the way. Dupes are OK.  If it is a triplicate I will mention it though….

Dave ka6bim

On Nov 29, 2022, at 9:44 AM, Jim Cassidy <jimki7y@...> wrote:

Does anyone have advice about how to choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact?

I usually pick a big gun or someone I know.

Sometimes those QSOs can become excessive.  At KT7E in the WW SSB we had a large number of those and probably many really did not need zone 3

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Alex Tkatch

KH7X as some other KH6 and KH2 residing in US and operating without / are sure confusing.

However for for zone 3, 4, 5 to find Canadian is easy enough.
Callsign glowing in green or red is not a reason immediately jump and call.

I would advise to find VE.

US calling US in DX contest for 0 points is an intended interferer jamming some DX signals.

When it happens 100s of times (and it does!) it’s really annoying.

WW Phone is ridiculous, WWCW is much better.

I will not work any US in WW - at least for the first 40 hours of the contest and let them know too if they call 10 times.

I hope this topic doesn’t come up again- we did discussed it last year and yet discussing it again :)

On Nov 29, 2022, at 9:17 AM, Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:

He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Alex Tkatch

Yes - Find  🇨🇦 🍁 !!!

On Nov 29, 2022, at 9:44 AM, Jim Cassidy <jimki7y@...> wrote:

Does anyone have advice about how to choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact?

I usually pick a big gun or someone I know.

Sometimes those QSOs can become excessive.  At KT7E in the WW SSB we had a large number of those and probably many really did not need zone 3

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Jim Cassidy

Thanks Dave, I usually do concentrate on the Canadians and wait until Sunday to check for missing zones.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 10:03 AM Ka6bim <dtucker423@...> wrote:
[...]

I hate to admit it, but a big gun is just that - a big gun.

As a QRP entrant, I'm going to pick someone from zone 4 or zone 5 that I can hear if I don't think I'm going to hear that zone again.

That someone is probably a superstation. K3LR. K9CT. W3LPL.

I'm sorry if they get bent out of shape about it at all, but I'm following the contest rules. And the whole QSO takes 10 seconds.

That's the cost of being a superstation.

Scott N7JI

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 9:44 AM Jim Cassidy <jimki7y@...> wrote:
Does anyone have advice about how to choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact?

I usually pick a big gun or someone I know.

Sometimes those QSOs can become excessive.  At KT7E in the WW SSB we had a large number of those and probably many really did not need zone 3

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 9:17 AM Sergey, KN7K <kn7k73@...> wrote:
He was spotted as KH7X many times as he send few times KH7X and one time /W7, it confused some people if they are quick to enter QSO and go on, also they probably spotted his call on his first transmit and missed /W7 on the last.
I did call him for zone 3, but got a response that I outlined in another post.
Sergey,KN7K

Kevin LaHaie

I guess us 'little pistols' have slightly different mindset

1. one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush ... if the mult is there, get it (station failures, band shifts etc. can leave you empty handed if you defer until later)

2. I ONLY call if the CQing station is making numerous calls without a reply ... I know better than to interrupt a serious run for that ...

3. I ALWAYS say THANKS FOR THE MULT to let them know I needed the zone.

Like Dave, with such a simple exchange in WW I can have the station in the log and on the next call in 5 seconds or less ... I timed it.

Here's a question: if you log a "W" station and you get the exchange or call WRONG, do we get penalized?  If so, THEN we're talking a good reason not to work them!

73 Kevin

On 11/29/2022 12:11 PM, Jim Cassidy wrote:

Thanks Dave, I usually do concentrate on the Canadians and wait until Sunday to check for missing zones.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022, 10:03 AM Ka6bim <dtucker423@...> wrote:
Jim, I usually try for a Canadian in the zone, but you are on the right track with someone you know or work regularly. Especially if you are primarily S&P.  If you are calling CQ, they will usually come to you.   I work anyone who calls me, it is quick and gets them out of the way. Dupes are OK.  If it is a triplicate I will mention it though….

Dave ka6bim

Alex Tkatch

10sec X 300….. do the math.

Finding Canadian is within rules too

On Nov 29, 2022, at 10:23 AM, Scott Rosenfeld <ars.n7ji@...> wrote:

[...]

So maybe they should be 0.25 points each.
Not enough to warrant working them intentionally but at least worth something.

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 10:29 AM Alex Tkatch via groups.io <ku1cw=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I mostly did S&P in the contest.  I did drop down to 160 briefly a few times just to pick up a few stations/mults.  The only Zone 5 station I heard on 160 was K3LR, but I decided not to call him.  A contest ought to be fun, and if I might piss off someone by calling them, I'd rather just miss their zone and have a lower score.  I did look for VE stations in Zone 5 during the brief times I was on that band, but didn't hear any.

Personally I'm just fine with zero point stations calling me, but others may have a different opinion...and I'm OK with that, too.  I DO think the rules ought to be changed to avoid pissing ANYONE off, because why would we want rules that annoy/anger anyone, but that's just my personal opinion.

73,

Gene, WI7N

[...]

Jim and all,

Thanks for reading my post.  Being what I'd call a fairly little pistol but with some good tools over here, I don't know if I qualify to give advice.  I will offer an opinion on a couple of things:

  • How I choose who to call for a zero point multiplier contact:

    Being a little sensitive about this subject of interrupting a station with a 0-pointer, I listen first to try to determine if the station is in the middle of a big run.  I feel a bit more comfortable making a call if the station is calling CQ and not getting responses.  Despite Alex's strongly stated response, he has given me a mult in the past.  Thank you Alex KU1CW! 😉  I also look for gentlemen/gentlewomen of the hobby and their teammates such as K3LR, K9CT, K1SFA, K5ZD, WX0B, and of course fellow club-members like W7RM/K2PO, KU1CW, K7ZS/KT7E, KA6BIM, W7YAQ, and others.  As other have mentioned, I also say "thank you for the mult" on phone but just TU on CW.  Because of my appreciation, I spot my benefactor especially when they've been repeatedly CQ-ing without a response.

  • Copy their Zone to be sure (or words to that effect):

    That would ensure one did not enter a Zone 31 report instead of a Zone 3 for sure.  I am using N1MM+ to send my exchange.  In CW contests, I will do S&P and vary my speed according to those sending CQ.   During the last test, I varied my XMIT speed between ~18 and 33 WPM.  I most often XMIT at about 25-27 WPM.  My XMIT delay is set to several milliseconds to avoid hot-keying the amp.  Often when the software unkeys to receive I am getting the "U" of his TU if he's speedy.   Perhaps I am too slow (I don't think so), or perhaps some other stations are relying on the software auto-fill.  No matter, it is the copying station's responsibility to copy what was sent correctly (and honestly).

Again, this was a fun contest.  I've been playing in contests for awhile because I discovered early on that it was one of the best ways to work DX. 😁  I learn from you all on the air, at the club meetings/presentations, during eyeball QSO's, and from this reflector/news-group.

Thank you and 73,

    Jerry    K7VIT