WSPR reports on 40M, also config includes only 20M


Gur Lavie
 

Hi,

My Kiwi is here - http://84.228.126.167:8073/

I am testing a problem where my Kiwi doesn't detect a local transmitter at 14.07Mhz.
I am testing now a configuration where
1. "WSPR extensions" are only defined on 20M - they don't decode anything
2. WSPRDAEMON config is set to 20M only :
declare WSPR_SCHEDULE_simple=(
    "00:00                       KIWI_0,20"
)

Still, in wsprnet, I keep seeing reports for WSPRDAEMON detecting 40M transmissions :


How can this be ? If I didnt set WSPRDAEMON to decode 40M ?

Thanks !


Jim Lill
 

I see a mix or 20 and 40M looking into the raw data from wsprnet

On 11/20/21 4:51 PM, Gur Lavie wrote:
Hi,

My Kiwi is here - http://84.228.126.167:8073/

I am testing a problem where my Kiwi doesn't detect a local transmitter at 14.07Mhz.
I am testing now a configuration where
1. "WSPR extensions" are only defined on 20M - they don't decode anything
2. WSPRDAEMON config is set to 20M only :
declare WSPR_SCHEDULE_simple=(
    "00:00                       KIWI_0,20"
)

Still, in wsprnet, I keep seeing reports for WSPRDAEMON detecting 40M transmissions :


How can this be ? If I didnt set WSPRDAEMON to decode 40M ?

Thanks !


Gur Lavie
 

Please look only at the last hour/ or last 4 hours.
I did several tests over the last few days....


Rob Robinett
 

Hi Gur,

Boy, you have so much RF noise that it is a wonder that you hear anything.
Also, you are tracking only 3 GPS satellites, so are you sure of the accuracy of the Kiwi's tuning?  If the WSPR signal is near the band edge your Kiwi might move it outside the 1400-1600 hz band.


Rob


Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 2.12.36 PM.png


On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM Gur Lavie <gurlavie@...> wrote:
Hi,

My Kiwi is here - http://84.228.126.167:8073/

I am testing a problem where my Kiwi doesn't detect a local transmitter at 14.07Mhz.
I am testing now a configuration where
1. "WSPR extensions" are only defined on 20M - they don't decode anything
2. WSPRDAEMON config is set to 20M only :
declare WSPR_SCHEDULE_simple=(
    "00:00                       KIWI_0,20"
)

Still, in wsprnet, I keep seeing reports for WSPRDAEMON detecting 40M transmissions :


How can this be ? If I didnt set WSPRDAEMON to decode 40M ?

Thanks !



--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896


Rob Robinett
 

Also, did you stop WD before making the change to its conf file?  You might stop WD (WD -z) and then start if again (WD -a) to ensure it is using the current version of the config file.

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 2:18 PM Rob Robinett via groups.io <rob=robinett.us@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Gur,

Boy, you have so much RF noise that it is a wonder that you hear anything.
Also, you are tracking only 3 GPS satellites, so are you sure of the accuracy of the Kiwi's tuning?  If the WSPR signal is near the band edge your Kiwi might move it outside the 1400-1600 hz band.


Rob


Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 2.12.36 PM.png

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 1:51 PM Gur Lavie <gurlavie@...> wrote:
Hi,

My Kiwi is here - http://84.228.126.167:8073/

I am testing a problem where my Kiwi doesn't detect a local transmitter at 14.07Mhz.
I am testing now a configuration where
1. "WSPR extensions" are only defined on 20M - they don't decode anything
2. WSPRDAEMON config is set to 20M only :
declare WSPR_SCHEDULE_simple=(
    "00:00                       KIWI_0,20"
)

Still, in wsprnet, I keep seeing reports for WSPRDAEMON detecting 40M transmissions :


How can this be ? If I didnt set WSPRDAEMON to decode 40M ?

Thanks !



--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896



--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896


Gur Lavie
 

Hi Rob,

You are right, I had to test a different remote networking unit which introduced all this noise.
I now removed it.

If you take a look now it should be quieter.
I have also improved the GPS antenna positioning - But interesting I still see mostly three. Whats the impact of this ?  (btw, how can you tell the sat count from the regular console ?)

The last time I was able to identify my transmissions was on November 11 (4Z7GUL) and it showed transmitting 14.097072
Is this too close to the border ? do you recommend to climb up ?

My transmission is now on 00 and 02 of every 10 minutes.
It can be seen on 14.1M, but it is not decoding.


Gur


Gur Lavie
 

I did stop/start.
And just did it again. 
I Need to wait few minutes to see again the impact.


Rob Robinett
 

Your Kiwi is configured for multiple autorun sessions, all on 20M.  You need to disable all of them and configure the Kiwi to accept at the number of WD bands.

Screen Shot 2021-11-20 at 6.03.42 PM.png

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Gur Lavie <gurlavie@...> wrote:
I did stop/start.
And just did it again. 
I Need to wait few minutes to see again the impact.



--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896


Rob Robinett
 

Hi Gur,

I have just checked your Kiwi and see that the spectrum is now much cleaner and WD is finding many spots on the 20M band you have configured it for.
Why don't you disable the last Kiwi autorun WSPR on the Kiwi and configure your WD to spot on 6 or 7 bands?  You could be a great new source of spots to the wsprner.org community.

73,

rob


Gur Lavie
 

Hi Rob,
Thanks for checking up on it.
Sure. I had to run multiple tests to figure out why I wasn't intercepting my tiny 1gr WSPR transmitter. 
Eventually solved my problem, and I can now stabilize my setup.

I am now optimized for 20m, and its fascinating to see how 40m becomes very dominant at night time.
Do you have any recommendation for a QRP "stealth" multiband antenna?

Thanks
Gur


Rob Robinett
 

Hi Gur,

I have very little experience with transmit antennas, but some successful WSPR Beacon sites have used EFHW.

You currently have 3 unused audio-only rx channels on your Kiwi.  By adding 80, 30 and 17 M to your WD.conf file you might increase you uniqs count enough to get into Phils top-spotters list http://wspr.rocks/topspotters/index.html and thus be able to compare your rx performance against other WSPR stations in your region.

73,

Rob


Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 11.18.41 AM.png


On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:04 AM Gur Lavie <gurlavie@...> wrote:
Hi Rob,
Thanks for checking up on it.
Sure. I had to run multiple tests to figure out why I wasn't intercepting my tiny 1gr WSPR transmitter. 
Eventually solved my problem, and I can now stabilize my setup.

I am now optimized for 20m, and its fascinating to see how 40m becomes very dominant at night time.
Do you have any recommendation for a QRP "stealth" multiband antenna?

Thanks
Gur



--
Rob Robinett
AI6VN
mobile: +1 650 218 8896


Jim Lill
 

Gur,

I have done antenna design for a living...    I can't recommend the EFHW for hardly anything!  They are popular as they are easy but they are not effective.  Startng with very QRP power, I'd use an antenna with minimal loss.  What bands and size constraints do you have?

-Jim


On 11/29/21 2:26 PM, Rob Robinett wrote:
Hi Gur,

I have very little experience with transmit antennas, but some successful WSPR Beacon sites have used EFHW.

You currently have 3 unused audio-only rx channels on your Kiwi.  By adding 80, 30 and 17 M to your WD.conf file you might increase you uniqs count enough to get into Phils top-spotters list http://wspr.rocks/topspotters/index.html and thus be able to compare your rx performance against other WSPR stations in your region.

73,

Rob




On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 12:04 AM Gur Lavie <gurlavie@...> wrote:
Hi Rob,
Thanks for checking up on it.
Sure. I had to run multiple tests to figure out why I wasn't intercepting my tiny 1gr WSPR transmitter. 
Eventually solved my problem, and I can now stabilize my setup.

I am now optimized for 20m, and its fascinating to see how 40m becomes very dominant at night time.
Do you have any recommendation for a QRP "stealth" multiband antenna?

Thanks
Gur