Topics

Obtaining date/time from the Kiwi's GPS [fixed in v1.417]

John Seamons

Hi,

In case you missed it, Kiwi release v1.417 adds setting the Beagle/RPi's date/time from GPS as requested by Rob back on October 7 on the Kiwi forum:
http://valentfx.com/vanilla/discussion/2128/obtaining-date-time-from-the-kiwis-gps-fixed-in-v1-417#latest

This only took a day to implement and test after someone pointed out to me the problem was easier than I had initially guessed. The famous GPS "week 1024 rollover" problem (Navstar) is not addressed currently with this change. That issue to be handled before November 2038 (2077 for Galileo).

Regards,
John, ZL/KF6VO
KiwiSDR

Rob Robinett

Hi John,

Thanks for making this enhancement.

Rob

Glenn Elmore

I saw the first mention of it on the forum and agree, thanks John for doing it.

I think I now need instruction on the path to set the time in the WD host, an RPI3 in the case of my portable system,  from the Kiwi/BB.  Do I need to do anything to have it serve that time and what needs to happen in WD and the RPI to 'make it all work right' for both GPS-on-Kiwi-no-Internet  and RPI-on-Internent-use-normal-NTP cases ?

Glenn

On 11/3/20 7:48 AM, Rob Robinett wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for making this enhancement.

Rob

Rob Robinett

As described at https://raspberrytips.com/time-sync-raspberry-pi/,  I believe it is quite easy to edit the file /etc/systemd/timesyncd.conf to put the Kiwi's IP address at the head of the list of NTP servers.
I have found time to work on the portable Kiwi project and will report back on my results with that configuration change.

John Seamons

It occurs to me now that some additional information from the Kiwi is probably necessary to make this new scheme useful. There needs to be an indication, probably from the /status URL, that GPS date/time set mode has been selected and also when it actually happens. The latter due to the long delay (up to 12.5 minute) possible before the GPS set is even possible. You might want to be suppressing spot uploads before this point in case the power-up date is wrong.

John Seamons

From the v1.427 release notes:

        <set> are digits '0' or '1' indicating if gps is enabled to set date/time, and if
        the set has actually occurred.