Getting a second KiwiSDR

Bruce KX4AZ

I decided to pull the trigger on getting a second KiwiSDR after coming across an excellent deal from a well known UK amateur radio vendor.  The total kit price came to around $240 USD including shipping.  Hard to beat a price like that....unless I got tricked and find out it comes without a BB board (fingers crossed!).  And hopefully the shipping process won't be as slow as for things I order from Aliexpress.

KD2OM

That sure sounds like the price of just the radio. Keep us posted.

73

Steve KD2OM

On 3/15/22 13:29, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
I decided to pull the trigger on getting a second KiwiSDR after coming across an excellent deal from a well known UK amateur radio vendor.  The total kit price came to around $240 USD including shipping.  Hard to beat a price like that....unless I got tricked and find out it comes without a BB board (fingers crossed!).  And hopefully the shipping process won't be as slow as for things I order from Aliexpress.

Rob Robinett

I would call the vendor and check what you are getting.
It is my understanding that the BB are impossible to get, so if it is just the radio you may not be able to build a complete Kiwi radio for some time

On Tue, Mar 15, 2022 at 6:58 AM KD2OM <steve@...> wrote:

That sure sounds like the price of just the radio. Keep us posted.

73

Steve KD2OM

On 3/15/22 13:29, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
I decided to pull the trigger on getting a second KiwiSDR after coming across an excellent deal from a well known UK amateur radio vendor.  The total kit price came to around $240 USD including shipping.  Hard to beat a price like that....unless I got tricked and find out it comes without a BB board (fingers crossed!).  And hopefully the shipping process won't be as slow as for things I order from Aliexpress.

WA2TP - Tom

If it was from ML&S that is the full kit. I have purchased from them before.

[...]

Mouser has 306 BBAI in stock and 251 BB Black.

On Mar 15, 2022, at 10:04, Rob Robinett <rob@...> wrote:

[...]

I  found them. A reasonable price. They say they have cases in stock as well. Looks like a full kit, congrats.

On Mar 15, 2022, at 10:17, KD2OM <steve@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Lill

were you going to share the link Steve

On 3/15/22 10:34, KD2OM wrote:
[...]

I bought 2 from them, total cost with freight to US was US$500

They arrive din less than 2 weeks

-Jim

On 3/15/22 14:43, KD2OM wrote:

https://www.hamradio.co.uk/sdr-seeed-studio/seeedstudio/kiwisdr-10-khz-to-30-mhz-web-interface-pd-13595.php

On 3/15/22 10:34, KD2OM wrote:
[...]

Very surprised that my order arrived from the UK exactly seven days after I placed the order.  Full kit including the BB so it was a great deal.  Began setting it up yesterday with my EFHW antenna.  While doing that I checked out some of the publicly accessible Kiwis in SE region of the US....so many noise-ridden waterfalls out there.

Jim Lill

you may find that your EFHW is prone to noise pick also

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 01:33 PM, Jim Lill wrote:

you may find that your EFHW is prone to noise pick also

Jim,
Yes, that is absolutely the case, given the coax shield serving as the counterpoise.  That said, I have two common mode chokes in place, one where the coax meets the house (50 feet downstream from the EFHW transformer), and a second one where the coax meets the receiver, which makes it tolerable for my purposes.  Having that full 0-30 MHz spectrum view from the KiwiSDR at this EM83 grid is going to make further antenna/feedline comparisons (such as a non-resonant dipole, active whip, MLA-30 loop, etc etc) so much easier to carry out, and give me the motivation to make it public, and/or get wsprdaemon decoding on a PI4.

It just astounds me how many public Kiwis have noise-ridden, ugly waterfalls that render them barely usable.  When the antenna at my "KX4AZ/T" site in MI got clobbered in December  I added a "broken antenna" disclaimer, to acknowledge the poor, but still partially usable status.  Had it looked as bad as some of the other pubic KiwisI wouldn't have left it running.  OK, end of rant.  Life is good.  And long live the KiwiSDR!
Bruce

Jim Lill

Neither of my 2 systems are great, but still far better than too many out there.  Mine is a constant battle against living in an RF swamp such as I do.

73

-Jim

On 3/24/22 14:33, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
[...]

Glen N6gn has written an application note on improving receive system noise performance which you might find useful:

On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 12:45 PM Jim Lill <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I have looked at that. Just waiting for snow to melt (now gone) and spring to inspect a few things on the antennas