first time more than 3000spots/hour on all bands...

ON5KQ

I mean the current one, which wsprdaemon is using. However I remember the last update of wsprd decoder engine, it was said by the developers, that it should be more efficient in busy bands. Also the summer QRN is a real stress test for the decoder. The developers said, that also in summer qrn their latest decoder (which we have now for at least 6 month or so) should work better....
So nothing to do...hi

Yesterday was just a good test case to verify the robustness of the decoder - I think we must be happy to have such good software.

Today I received my first UK-station on 4m (70Mhz) over a distance of a little more than 450km - no special propagation just groundwave...
The last couple of days I am testing how to use my terminated rhombic antenna on 6m and above. It is pointing to the UK and it turns out to be very broadband. I use it from 160m to 70Mhz for reception with good results.
VSWR as measured with my DG8SAQ VNA:  (30kHz to 60Mhz trace)

Not that bad...

Ulli, ON5KQ

WA2TP

Ulli,

Which new decoder are you referring to?

On Jun 11, 2021, at 2:40 AM, ON5KQ <ON5KQ@...> wrote:

Jim,
on 20m (and the higher bands) usually I hear the locals (100km distance) best, when both antennas are in the same direction (back-scatter)
So in the evening in 20m CW or SSB if stations put their beams to Northamerica, I would hear them best with the beam to Northamerica too. Although the many Germans heard like this are all in the back of the antenna...

So, I think the usually not very directive Wspr-wire antennas (both TX and RX, compared to a Yagi beam antenna) will work in the same way: Backscatter signals are usually stronger than direct ground wave propagation.

Ulli

ON5KQ

Jim,
on 20m (and the higher bands) usually I hear the locals (100km distance) best, when both antennas are in the same direction (back-scatter)
So in the evening in 20m CW or SSB if stations put their beams to Northamerica, I would hear them best with the beam to Northamerica too. Although the many Germans heard like this are all in the back of the antenna...

So, I think the usually not very directive Wspr-wire antennas (both TX and RX, compared to a Yagi beam antenna) will work in the same way: Backscatter signals are usually stronger than direct ground wave propagation.

Ulli

ON5KQ

yes, you can filter.... Phil's website (VK7JJ) offers the possibility.
Obviously, due to the short skip "QRM" the reception capability for the much weaker DX stations is limited. When there is so much short skip sporadic E reception often F2 reflections (being the normal propagation on shortwave) is not possible or attenuated due to absorbtion.
Yesterday the 20m band opened to North-America after the short skip signals dropped in signal strength.

I was surprised, how well the latest decoder really can cope with extremely busy bands when such propagation overloads the available wspr-frequency space with transmitting stations. I must say it is impressive, that the decoder can reliably pick more than 40stations in a 2min wspr circle from just 200Hz wide band...
How far this will develop in the coming years, when we probably will see a fully open 10m band even during the night and at the same time have good condx on the low bands ?
That is the moment, where I need a new PC for decoding...hi. The current solution with a dual CPU XEON workstation might be not enough..

The sporadic E max usable frequency yesterday was 47Mhz at about 21h (at the time of my first post above) according to the Ionosonde here in Belgium. Still not enough for opening on 6m although the regular stations were heard via tropo, I guess.

Ulli

WA2TP

Perhaps there is way to filter out by distance and disregard spots that are under xxx Km?

From: wsprdaemon@groups.io <wsprdaemon@groups.io> on behalf of Jim Lill <jim@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2021 4:30 PM
To: wsprdaemon@groups.io <wsprdaemon@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [wsprdaemon] first time more than 3000spots/hour on all bands...

Looking at the data, I see that the EU advantage over North America is on 17-10m  While I'm sure that much of that is from E and F skip I'd bet there is some GW and Ground Scatter  in there too.  When bands are "supposed to be hot" more people turn there TX on and those shorter paths in EU have those  TX to take advantage of.

When I have time, I'll try to do some analysis on that

-Jim

WA2ZKD

On 6/10/21 3:48 PM, KD2OM wrote:
We US stations might as well pack up our tents and go home:)  As soon as the cycle moves along we will be lucky to make the top ten World Wide.

Steve KD2OM

On Jun 10, 2021, at 15:40, ON5KQ <ON5KQ@...> wrote:

just checked: 20m only spots frequently about 40stations per 2min... currently at 900spots/hour -  incredible and only possible with the current decoder, I guess - I don't think earlier versions were able to handle such overcrowded wspr-channels...
Ulli, ON5KQ

Jim Lill

Looking at the data, I see that the EU advantage over North America is on 17-10m  While I'm sure that much of that is from E and F skip I'd bet there is some GW and Ground Scatter  in there too.  When bands are "supposed to be hot" more people turn there TX on and those shorter paths in EU have those  TX to take advantage of.

When I have time, I'll try to do some analysis on that

-Jim

WA2ZKD

On 6/10/21 3:48 PM, KD2OM wrote:
We US stations might as well pack up our tents and go home:)  As soon as the cycle moves along we will be lucky to make the top ten World Wide.

Steve KD2OM

just checked: 20m only spots frequently about 40stations per 2min... currently at 900spots/hour -  incredible and only possible with the current decoder, I guess - I don't think earlier versions were able to handle such overcrowded wspr-channels...
Ulli, ON5KQ

KD2OM

Steve KD2OM

Ulli, ON5KQ

ON5KQ

Ulli, ON5KQ

ON5KQ

Short skip conditions here in Europe make my 2x Xeon quadcore Workstation be real busy for the first time...
300km far away stations on 20m are 40db over S9 on the rhombic to northwest. This antenna favours rather high angle radiation on 20m.... so the short skip propagation put the kiwi's on fire...hi
10db att-pads nessesary for the first time as well this evening...
I saw Holgers kiwi also overload for short moments for the strong UK BC-signals from Wooferton (250...500kW on 20dbi ant)
My kiwi shows S9+55db for these stations today...
about 19h utc, 21h local, local sunset expected at 19h58 in roughly one hour.... the computer needs almost 70sec - never experienced before

Frank LX1DQ also spots really al lot (also almost 3000spots all band/hour), Holger similar
All bands full throttle (incl. 10m) at the moment...
Only 6m suffers now, due to another 6db att.pad needed to prevent overloading at the rhombic to northwest ...
I think within 30min I can remove it again, as signal strength will weaker a bit...