first time more than 3000spots/hour on all bands...

ON5KQ

I mean the current one, which wsprdaemon is using. However I remember the last update of wsprd decoder engine, it was said by the developers, that it should be more efficient in busy bands. Also the summer QRN is a real stress test for the decoder. The developers said, that also in summer qrn their latest decoder (which we have now for at least 6 month or so) should work better....
So nothing to do...hi

Yesterday was just a good test case to verify the robustness of the decoder - I think we must be happy to have such good software.

Today I received my first UK-station on 4m (70Mhz) over a distance of a little more than 450km - no special propagation just groundwave...
The last couple of days I am testing how to use my terminated rhombic antenna on 6m and above. It is pointing to the UK and it turns out to be very broadband. I use it from 160m to 70Mhz for reception with good results.
VSWR as measured with my DG8SAQ VNA:  (30kHz to 60Mhz trace)

Not that bad...

Ulli, ON5KQ

WA2TP

Ulli,

Which new decoder are you referring to?

On Jun 11, 2021, at 2:40 AM, ON5KQ <ON5KQ@...> wrote:

Jim,
on 20m (and the higher bands) usually I hear the locals (100km distance) best, when both antennas are in the same direction (back-scatter)
So in the evening in 20m CW or SSB if stations put their beams to Northamerica, I would hear them best with the beam to Northamerica too. Although the many Germans heard like this are all in the back of the antenna...

So, I think the usually not very directive Wspr-wire antennas (both TX and RX, compared to a Yagi beam antenna) will work in the same way: Backscatter signals are usually stronger than direct ground wave propagation.

Ulli

ON5KQ

Jim,
on 20m (and the higher bands) usually I hear the locals (100km distance) best, when both antennas are in the same direction (back-scatter)
So in the evening in 20m CW or SSB if stations put their beams to Northamerica, I would hear them best with the beam to Northamerica too. Although the many Germans heard like this are all in the back of the antenna...

So, I think the usually not very directive Wspr-wire antennas (both TX and RX, compared to a Yagi beam antenna) will work in the same way: Backscatter signals are usually stronger than direct ground wave propagation.

Ulli

ON5KQ

yes, you can filter.... Phil's website (VK7JJ) offers the possibility.
Obviously, due to the short skip "QRM" the reception capability for the much weaker DX stations is limited. When there is so much short skip sporadic E reception often F2 reflections (being the normal propagation on shortwave) is not possible or attenuated due to absorbtion.
Yesterday the 20m band opened to North-America after the short skip signals dropped in signal strength.

I was surprised, how well the latest decoder really can cope with extremely busy bands when such propagation overloads the available wspr-frequency space with transmitting stations. I must say it is impressive, that the decoder can reliably pick more than 40stations in a 2min wspr circle from just 200Hz wide band...
How far this will develop in the coming years, when we probably will see a fully open 10m band even during the night and at the same time have good condx on the low bands ?
That is the moment, where I need a new PC for decoding...hi. The current solution with a dual CPU XEON workstation might be not enough..

The sporadic E max usable frequency yesterday was 47Mhz at about 21h (at the time of my first post above) according to the Ionosonde here in Belgium. Still not enough for opening on 6m although the regular stations were heard via tropo, I guess.

Ulli

WA2TP

Perhaps there is way to filter out by distance and disregard spots that are under xxx Km?