Re: performance wsprdaemon on a RPI3

Bryan Klofas

Hey Rob--

Thanks for the tips on decreasing the "-o" flag if I run out of cycles. My current KF6ZEO spotting station is actually running on a Ubuntu 20.04 VM with 2 threads of a i3-5010U, so it's got enough horsepower. I'm building up a Pi for a remote site.

It might be helpful to add a bit more error logging if kiwirecorder can't access the SDR.

For instance, I just stopped wsprdaemon, git pull, started, and viewed the error logs. Nothing showed up using "-l e", but no spots were being uploaded.

It turns out that as soon as I stopped wsprdaemon, the KiwiSDR started to update itself, with no incoming connections allowed. Judging by htop, it appears that kiwirecorder is crashlooping. Running kiwirecorder by hand results in:

kiwi.client.KiwiDownError: 192.168.1.82: server is down atm

However, the recovery worked well. As soon as the server came back up, kiwirecorder stopped crashing and wsprdaemon started uploading spots. So maybe I'm getting a bit too into the weeds here.

Thanks for continuing to work on wsprdaemon, have a great weekend!
--
Bryan Klofas KF6ZEO

On 5/26/22 18:32, Rob Robinett wrote:
Hi Bryan,
I see from http://wspr.rocks/livequeries/ <http://wspr.rocks/livequeries/> that you are still running 3.0.2.3. You would benefit from updating your WD by running:
git pull
wd -z
wd -a
I have just installed Wd 3.0.2 at many of the top sites and have found how to use some of its features to ensure there is no CPU overloading on the WD server.  Logging is much improved in WD 3.0, so wsprd timeouts and other errors which were silently handled (tom some extent) by WD 2.10 are now much more visible.  To see log lines with ERROR execute:
wd -l e    (show Log errors)
You can ignore the "ERROR: only x o y spots accepted by wsprnet.org" lines, but any other error lines should be investigated.
If you see "ERROR: timeout..." lines, then you are running out of CPU cycles and you should try adding this line to your conf file:
WSPRD_CMD_FLAGS="-C 500 -o 3 -d"
At one especially challenged site I had to go down from the default '-o 4' to:
WSPRD_CMD_FLAGS="-C 500 -o 2 -d"
Even '-o 2' didn't seem to affect the number of decoded spots, so users with Pi 3bs may be able to scan 14+ bands.