Re: Memory leak (Bullseye)

Rob Robinett

The memory leak is in the Bash version 5.1.4 included in bullseye.  Gwyn has compiled Bash 5.1.16 on his bullseye Pi 3b and that fixes the problem.  I have no insight into if/when they will update the Bash is bullseye.

I switched my Pi4 to the 64 bit Ubuntu for the Pi which includes Bash 5.1.16 and it runs with no leak.  That version of Ubuntu is offered as an option in the 'Raspberry Pi Imager' which I run on my Mac to load microSD cards.  Burning the card and then setting it up in the Pi took me about 15 minutes, but I do have a lot of experience with that process.

Rob

On Fri, May 27, 2022 at 7:01 AM John <johnk5mo@...> wrote:
Rob mentions:

in your case the much bigger problem is a memory leak in the Bash 5.1.4 included in bullseye.  Gwyn G3ZIL identified that problem which leads the Pi to run out of memory in 1-5 days.

I now see this too, in my Pi4 install of 3.0.2 .  It's running great otherwise.  ("other than that, how did you like the play Mrs Lincoln?").   Do I understand this is an issue with Bash?

While I can restart my system every 5 days or so, does anyone know if this is likely to be fixed in a new release of Bash, or is it associated only with the combination of Bash and WD?

Thanks. It's probably a dumb question, but I'd rather wait and update Bash than build a new system.

John K5MO