Re: wsprdaemon with SDRplay devices on Raspberry Pi 4

Bruce KX4AZ

On Thu, May 26, 2022 at 11:20 PM, Rob Robinett wrote:
... I have ordered one of those clones from ebay if only to compare it against my RP2.
...The big issue with using any of those SDRs for VHF/UHF WSPR is calibrating its frequency settings
Thanks Rob, looking forward to hearing how well it works.  I ordered one as well from Aliexpress - the one with five SMA filter inputs.  The main difference versus the single input with the DIP switches is bandwidth claimed (2 GHz versus 1 GHz for the 5 inputs).  Presumably all of those 5 SMA inputs add enough extra capacitance to roll things off at a lower frequency.  They claim there is a 0.5 ppm TXCO on board so perhaps after calibrating against a GPSDO the accuracy will be good enough for VHF/UHF WSPR.  Unless you can swamp out the TXCO by feeding it a stronger external clock, perhaps.  In any event, even given the outdated RSP1 design, it would be a significant upgrade from the RTL-SDR direct mode for HF, with those extra bits as well as the lack of aliasing for the >14.4 MHz region, not to mention the much wider bandwidth, and similar cost.