Re: MP1584 Buck converter 3A

ON5KQ

Rob,
I made a short test:
- 13.0V DC supply from a switch mode power supply by Meanwell : Type S-100F-12
https://www.meanwell-web.com/nl-nl/ac-dc-enclosed-power-supply-output-12vdc-at-8-5a-s-s--100f--12
I know this unit is a bit noisy and noise can be seen in the receiver, if used with antenna relais, etc...
However I have it in the shack, doing nothing... and it can deliver a lot of Amps...

The output of this SMPS to the input of the buck DC-DC converter - nothing to adjust for 5.0V output - then a 1inch long smal cable into the kiwi

Result:
- No ant connected:   absolutely no noise at all visible from DC to 30Mhz... really absolutely NOTHING. The result was absolut the same than my linear power supplies and much better as shown by Clint during the video-conference.
- connected my relatively large vertical active dipole (2x3.5m with LZ1AQ pre-amp) - after 15db attenuator in front of the kiwi...: I cannot find any carrier or noise from the power supplies. It is interesting, that also the Meanwell SMPS does not harm at all...

So - this is really a good solution I think and I will use it at the new location...

Ulli, ON5KQ

PS: The linux PC is my mobile laptop... I must re-install it anyway and will come back to you, if the WD-installation problem persist. I then can also provide remote access, if this would help...