Re: MP1584 Buck converter 3A

Rob Robinett

I have accidentally applied 12V to the Kiwi without experiencing any damage.  I know there is circuitry in the BB to protect ti from over voltage, and it appears the Kiwi board itself has protection as well.

On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 5:33 AM ON5KQ <ON5KQ@...> wrote:
I purchased the buck converters to step down from 12V DC to 5V DC to power the kiwi-rx
Many vendors are selling them on Amazon and e-bay

As they arrived I am astonished, that the Buck converter modules do not have the potentiometers installed as shown on the pictures on the Internet.
I was afraid, they would not be useful, in case the output voltage is not  5V.  I was lucky however - a quick test with 100mA load showed 4.99V DC output with 12.3V DC input - so even without potentiometers they may be used.

Question:
I am afraid, that if something wents wrong with the small modules, the full 12V DC may reach the Kiwi power input plug. What should I do best to protect the kiwi for overvoltage when using the small ? Any good effective idea which would prevent big damage to the kiwi ?

Thanks for some advice,

Ulli, ON5KQ