Re: Probability theory - spot yield for hopping versus continuous reception?

Rob Robinett

I set all my Kiwis to 8 channel mode and configure WD to use 6 or 7 of the channels, leaving one waterfall rx channel free for my listening.

For publically shared sites, with two Kiwis fed by one antenna I can spot on all 14 WSPR bands and I have 4 waterfall channels for listeners.

On Sun, Dec 5, 2021 at 10:40 AM Glenn Elmore <n6gn@...> wrote:

I can't answer for 'anyone' but the short answer for myself is "no, I haven't". But I think it depends what you are after. To maximize the raw spot count with limited receiver count probably following the herd as they travel will get you more total spots. If the goal is unique spots over a day, I think following the MUF may pay off better.

By watching unique spots vs band and time of day, I try to center the 6 receivers I use on WSPR at N6GN/K2, 3/4ths of a KiwiSDR,  on where the MUF /absorption has center of mass. at a particular time of day and year.  I change the schedule in wsprdaemon several times/day.

I'm more interested in the propagation than the counts but doing this does give more data so that watching it all in conjunction with the MUF map can give insight.

On 12/5/21 11:28 AM, Bruce KX4AZ wrote:
I wonder if anyone has ever done any rough calculations using the WSPR database to do some predictive calculations around the spot numbers that could be achieved in a continuous decoding (i.e. with a KiwiSDR) versus hopping (i.e. a WSJT-x software with a single frequency receiver).

My current  'KX4AZ/T' KiwiSDR site is working reasonably well with WSPR decoding, but I don't like to tie up all 8 of the Kiwi channels with the wsprdaemon.  Recently I have had it decoding on just 4 channels (80/40/30/20).  Now and then I'll turn on a separate Airspy HF+ Discovery  "hopper" receiver for the less active WSPR frequencies...but I've always wondered about how many spots I am missing with the hopper receiver.  Seems like the WSPR database would be an excellent tool to use for constructing some predictive calculations, but I can't quite wrap my mind around the mathematics & probability calculations it would require.  And for all I know this has already been done long ago.