Re: HB9VQQ testing Kiwi SDR

Bruce KX4AZ

Rolf,
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the Airspy HF+ Discovery outperforms the KiwiSDR for WSPR spot counts, give the different architecture and narrower bandwidth on the Airspy.  In my informal comparisons of the two (attached to a simple y-splitter), the Airspy had a measurably higher S/N ratio on the weakest signals.  It appears that modest signal amplification (very carefully applied) can compensate for the difference.  I'll leave it to the experts on this forum to (like KA7OEI) to detail the pluses/minuses of amplification.

I just started setting up a new Pi4 today and hope to get the wsprdaemon running with the KiwiSDR one of these days.

I also wanted thank you for your post, calling my attention to yet another groups.io that I'll need to join!  Might be a good place to discuss my current 10 microwatt WSPR experiments.
73,
Bruce KX4AZ