Re: Radio "limbo"

Bruce KX4AZ

On Tue, Oct 5, 2021 at 01:40 PM, @OE3GBB wrote:

For info, just checked WSPR:

I could receive at OE3XOE several DX stations using powers of 5 and 10 mW:

Gerhard,
Thanks for posting that - it's always nice to see others testing the low end of WSPR RF output.  When I operate as a spotter, now and then I'll send an email to stations that are declaring their power to be 10 mW or less....just to satisfy myself that they haven't accidentally mis-stated it.  For myself I verify the output power now and then, with either a spectrum analyzer, or the RF voltage measured across a dummy load using an oscilloscope.  That's something I will definitely need to do for my current round of experiments, once I find the threshold power setting that yields just one spotter station in a 24 hour period. Just like to have that little extra accuracy beyond what the step attenuator tells me.

Separately I will embarrass myself a bit here by admitting I have not yet used wsprdaemon for spotting.  I recently set up a new KiwiSDR (grid locator EN74), and once I get another Raspberry Pi I hope to give it a try.

73,
Bruce