Re: I'm looking for FST4W signals

WILLIAM n SUSIE ENGELKE

Rob - I just saw this - I was checking the wrong email earlier this AM. Please disregard my earlier email of today.

I have added the standard WSPR frequency of 1.836600 MHz to my WSJT-x instance for FST4W mode, and will use that for my beacon starting today; so I will check with you from time to time about possible detection of it.  -73- Bill , AB4EJ

On Tuesday, September 14, 2021, 10:37:35 AM CDT, Rob Robinett <rob@...> wrote:

Reading the FST4 Quick Start Guide at:  https://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/k1jt/FST4_Quick_Start.pdf
I see it suggested that FST4 transmissions occupy the same 1400-1600 Hz bands as WSPR signals.
So I don't know where the 1600-1800 Hz for the 160M band comes from, nor why only 2200,630 and 160 are defined in 2.5.0-x

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 8:25 AM Rob Robinett via groups.io <rob=robinett.us@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Bill,

I posted questions about the FST4W bands and frequencies to the WSJT-x forum and heard back in this thread: https://wsjtx.groups.io/g/main/topic/85595606#28773

This is my first exploration of the 'frequency of bands' feature of the WSJT-x and I find band definitions for  2200M and 630M to be the same as WSPR, while the 160M band is in the 200 Hz immediately above the WSPR band.  It seems no wonder that FST4W isn't being widely used if there are only 3 bands defined for it;=)

Since WD users are likely to become the primary listeners to FST4W on all bands, and there seems no compelling technical reason to have separate bands, I would propose we add Mode FST4W bands to WSJT-x which overlap with the existing WSPR bands.  So for tonight I suggest we delete the existing 160M FST4W band in WSJT-x->Settings->Frequencies  and replace it with one which duplicates the 160M WSPR band.

What do you think?

73,

Rob

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 7:46 AM WILLIAM n SUSIE ENGELKE <engelke77@...> wrote:
Could someone please suggest to me what frequency I should set WSJT-x to, to run a 160m beacon on FST4W?
I just installed WSJTx v 2.5.0-rc6, which has  frequency settings of 1.8368 and 1.839 MHz for this mode. Should I use one of these, or another?    -73- Bill Engelke, AB4EJ