Re: Nightly report of comparison kfs - kph on 80m to copy JA's in contest

ON5KQ

Hi Glenn,

Exactly.

When you have a very quit location and a really well working omni-directional antenna the only way to get better wspr-reception reports is:

- directional antennas......   AND (very important!)

- many of them in different directions

with only one directional antenna you will have less spots than with the simple omni-directional antenna....

Only in that case it makes sense to me, to use more that one receiver on one frequency. Although it is clear that more receivers increase the number of spots due to statistical reasons...

As I do not have this directional antenna set-up at the moment I use only one receiver per band at the moment (with exceptions during antenna tests)

May be, I will NOT join coming Wednesday - we are planning a full day cycling tour and I might not be back in time for the meeting....

So please inform the group...

Ulli

Ulli,
An interesting comparison, thanks for sharing it.  Because of it, I took a look at Grafana to compare KPH/TCI-530 with KFS/best_of_all_merged_antennas  on 80m during that same time, it looks like this:

What I find interesting is that KPH and KFS are almost exactly the same on WSPR during this time of day - and actually overall. They are closer than the perhaps 6 dB of SNR improvement your JA CW captures show.  This seems to me to add support your hypothesis that the extra directivity, the F/B of KFS antenna is helping, but of course only in that direction. On average, considering all WSPR signal directions they have similar performance.
I think this rather confirms what we knew - directive antennas can be useful when used appropriately but they aren't a solution in every situation.  No doubt if there were noise sources over the pacific (maybe a really noisy SMPS at Rob's AI6VN/KH6 site (:>)  )  things might be different.