Nightly report of comparison kfs - kph on 80m to copy JA's in contest

ON5KQ

Great, that kph is receiving again with the kiwi's...
I thought I use the Japanese CW contest to make a screenshot of kfs (NWest antenna) and compare it with the TCI 530 at kph
I know that this is not a fair comparison - for your information - both TCI-530s at kfs and kph were very similar with almost no difference in reception.

However if you already have a real good receiver, how much you need to invest more, to improve the reception further ? This gives some impression...

As usual, the 80m band is very noisy at 3h20 local California time....
So to hear the JA-stations in 80m CW you need some attenuation of the QRN (from the land side) and good gain over the pacific...
The directional LPDAs at kfs offer both....

Here is the difference - I attach two high resolution screenshots, so you can really compare the details.
All stations calling above 3510kHz are JA's in the contest calling. You can see, that just a tiny bit better reception makes the difference in this band propagation...
Most stations were difficult to copy at kph, due to the noise...
The noise situation was not much better at kfs, however the net gain into the northern Pacific make the difference - the visible stations were very easy to copy... some stations could be copied which were not at all readable at kph...

Conclusion: It is very worthwhile to have large directional antennas to the pacific from west-coast US-stations. Especially as the distances are very long, low elevation take-off antennas should be used...

Ulli, ON5KQ
P.S.: screenshots are taken exactly at the same time...