Re: Odroid XU-4 or?

Edward Hammond

I have fun with SBCs but I don't regret recently switching to a more full blown system.

I was lucky to have an underutilized Intel NUC in the shack. It's not new. I believe it is a 7th generation processor, dual core, not the quad.  Ubuntu was an easy install.  The CPU tests as being about the same, maybe slightly better (~10%), than the eBay used machine that Rob mentioned here a couple months ago, though I think the NUC is still more expensive (though probably less power hungry).

A major motivator for me was that decoding FST4W with WD will be, per Rob, considerably more CPU intensive.

I literally haven't touched the NUC since the first time I ran WSPRDaemon after the install.  Except to use the display to show PSK Reporter or wspr.rocks maps while WD runs in the background.

God bless the SBCs but I'm not going back.

Edward

W3ENR

On 7/22/21 10:18 AM, Rolf Ekstrand wrote:
Greetings y'all

Thinking about making some additions here to expand my set up here as the condx are improving on the higher bands.  This means additional antennas and of course more Kiwis, and as I am running a Rpi4 here I guess there also have to be some thought about replacing this. Thus I like to put the question out there. Would for example an Odroid XU-4 be a better choice or is there something else out there in regards to reasonable priced SBC's     In regards to this I must also consider the Internet service as we are on a connection  here (Thanks Spectrum ) that consistently fails or slows down to a mere crawl.  Well that's why we use the WD, but with more Kiwis it will put more load on the system and we probably need something else than the Rpi4.

Any thoughts regarding this?

73  Rolf K9DZT