Re: 8 way splitter for GPS to kiwi's and GPSDO needed

Rob Robinett

Glen is of course right that it is desirable to not have a GPS splitter introduce ground loops between Kiwis.

However like Steve I have been very successful using simple satellite splitters like this one available from amamzon.fr for 16 euros:

At KPH and at AI6VN/KH6 I put the GPS antenna on the roof and ran 30M of RG-6 to the splitter, then directly connected the splitter output to the Kiwis and have run that way for years without problems.  The RF signal gain from having the antenna on the top of the roof more than makes up for the 12 dB signal loss in the RG-6 and the additional 10+ dB in the splitter.

I use no DC blocking.  Test the RFI level with and without the GPS connections to the Kiwis to see if introducing the splitter adds to your RFI.  If so, then a specialized splitter is of course justified.

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 9:59 AM Glenn Elmore <n6gn@...> wrote:
Lots of splitters available but they all end up tieing grounds together which can make a bad situation worse and more complex.
Complete low frequency isolation is desireable but requires special effort.

On Jun 19, 2021 10:31 AM, KD2OM <steve@...> wrote:
Ulli,
I don’t know if an 8 port splitter is available but I am using a 4 port TVRO splitter. The ones meant for satellite TV have one DC thru port and the rest DC blocked. I would imagine the same type is available in Europe. It is 75 ohms with F connectors.

73,
Steve KD2OM