KFS reception quality - IMD and other (internal?) noise sources...

ON5KQ

Hello,
This is to report my findings from night time usage of the kfs-antennas. I understand, that you have tried to find the various noise sources and reason for strong 'birdies' and other unwanted signals, which is believed to be produced by the KFS system somehow...
I also understand that most of the investigation has been done during daylight hours.
Now, due to the big time difference for me from Europe it is very easy to verify to degraded reception quality during middle-of-the-night - dead band conditions....

And to make things short:
- I could not find any of the problems you showed during our zoom meeting session at local morning time.

I checked at local midnight in California:
- the Weather Fax from Japan at 7985 kHz was very strong (radio jmh) The north west antenna was S9.... switched to South East - completely clear channel..... EMPTY! these antennas really work, from pattern point of view! South west antenna was weaker on the Japanese FAX, but still good copy - similar than the omni, which were both 10db down to the directional LP to NW...
- I searched the 8.5MHz aviation band for any 'unwanted noise sources'..... could not find any! Bandnoise was at -105dbm (S-meter) with some qrn, but very good reception quality... the 530 was at least as comfortable to listen to, than at the same time at northern Utah omni... (I checked...)
- Checked all amateur bands: Yes on 20m there were some regular birdies, but not as single carriers - it was a mix of several carriers concentrated within 100Hz - every 60kHz or so... I have the same here, when searching for it on completely dead band....
Could you check, if the Kiwi's are very closely placed in the rack ? I found, that even without antennas connected the one kiwi picks up noise from the kiwi next to it - it is only a few db, but you can see the lines in the spectrum. The only way to check it, is run every kiwi with all other kiwi's switched off. then switch on the other kiwi's one by one... you see the noise from the 'neighbor' kiwis in the rack... I plan to place the kiwi's with at least 30cm space to every other kiwi... may be something to check, when visiting KFS next time...

At least I can say:
- whenever a shortwave band was open - reception was great ! No big deal with noise sources! If this is what the operators hear in their commercial traffic = no wonder they do not understand the amateurs claiming noise.... so better to search more:
- could you please check at very late in your local evening at midnight or even later, if you are able to to so....  My guess now is indeed local radiated noise from the neighborhood of kfs (up to 20km is absolutely possible, with such large antennas!). This noise is only at daytime...
- I checked in the morning - 4h30 local California time.... clean bands... or at least as clean as you can get it realistically..... you are not in a remote area at half moon bay... hundreds of miles to the next powerline....hi
- It could even be, that although the noise you have seen during daytime is common-mode problem, this problem goes away, as the noise creator is switched of at late evening for some reason....

So, I hope my observations help finding the problem. Especially it my be useful information, if you plan to contact the commercial people about it with a written letter... before you send a letter I would better examine the location and also verify, that this noise is indeed 24h/7day a week, being a fundamental problem.
But my findings show, that there are times (at least) where there is NO Problem....

I will keep checking it and perhaps we find a kind of "schedule" for the noise...

regards,
Ulli, ON5KQ