Re: Transient missing spots events may require WD server CPU upgrade

Edward Hammond

Okay.  I guess it's time to suck it up and install Ubuntu on that old Intel NUC!

EH

On 5/25/21 4:10 PM, Rob Robinett wrote:
In WD V3.0 I will be adding support for FST4W 120/300/900/1800 and using those modes, especially the 900/1800, will surely require more CPU than any Pi can offer.

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 1:06 PM Edward Hammond <manager@muskrat.farm> wrote:

Sorry, a correction.  It was FT8 that was pushing my Pi to its limits
then, not WSPR.  But I would think overclocking would similarly
help in
this situation.

EH

On 5/25/21 3:29 PM, Edward Hammond wrote:

> I noticed last year that my decode cycles were pushing the Pi's
> limits.  Your mileage may vary, and it certainly will void any
> warranty, but overclocking the Pi4 is also a possibility.
>
> I experimented with that option and, on my example at least, I
could
> dial in a ~12-14% clock speed boost stably (IIRC).  This did
shorten
> the decoding cycle.
>
> Any higher clock rate, again on my particular Pi, and it started
> behaving erratically.
>
> Edward
>

> On 5/25/21 12:37 PM, Rob Robinett wrote:
>> This kind of problem has been reported by others in the
Wednesday WD
>> Zoom call and fixed by upgrading to a more powerful CPU than
the ARM
>> on the Pi4.  It appears that with the summer months and increasing
>> sunspot cycle, the Pi CPUs can't keep up decoding the number of
spots
>> in the wav file captures.  However it is hard to observe those
'out
>> of CPU' events.
>> Most of the top spotting sites have migrated from Pi4s to i86
>> servers.  An inexpensive, low power and high performance option is
>> the Lenovo M93P Tiny PC (don't get the larger model) with i5 CPU
>> which can be purchased used or refurbished for $100 or less on
ebay:
>> https://tinyurl.com/emrjnw <https://tinyurl.com/emrjnw> The
M93P consumes 12W peaking at 36W
>> while decoding spots.
>> WD requires very little RAM space, so a 2 or 4GB machine would be
>> fine.  I bought mine without HD and added a SSD and installed
Ubuntu

rob@robinett.us <mailto:rob@robinett.us>