Subject: [worcesterastro] Whirlpool Galaxy
To: worcesterastro@groups.io
Date: Friday, 12 April, 2019, 9:10

Hi all,
As Wednesday was so clear I got my telescope out and thought
I would look at some galaxies I was very underwhelmed as
pointing my foot mount st different DSO's didn't
show me anything. I ended up pointing at at the whirlpool
galaxy which I couldn't see so I attached my Nikon and
took a 25 second exposure. I was delighted to see the galaxy
appear faintly within the shot so I took 50 more shots and
managed to get this picture. What do you think of it. Now I
know it works I will hopefully get more data and expand on
it.

Colin Rouse

Andy did you attach your Nikon using a mount and Barlow ?

On 13 Apr 2019, at 11:03, Julian Harris via Groups.Io <julian_d_harris=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Very nice picture love the colour

To: worcesterastro@groups.io
Date: Friday, 12 April, 2019, 9:10

Hi all,
As Wednesday was so clear I got my telescope out and thought
I would look at some galaxies I was very underwhelmed as
pointing my foot mount st different DSO's didn't
show me anything. I ended up pointing at at the whirlpool
galaxy which I couldn't see so I attached my Nikon and
took a 25 second exposure. I was delighted to see the galaxy
appear faintly within the shot so I took 50 more shots and
managed to get this picture. What do you think of it. Now I
know it works I will hopefully get more data and expand on
it.

andy@...

Hi Colin

I attached the Nikon to the telescope with a Sky-Watcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80 using an M-48 ring adapter the image is severely cropped as the galaxy was quite small due to the wide angle.