Topics

Has anyone got a Windows XP computer I could use/borrow?

Michael Morris

I've just picked up an old Philips Toucam Pro webcam which I'd like to be able to use on a Windows 7 computer I have in the observatory.  The problem is that the otherwise excellent Toucam Pro is not compatible with anything later than Windows XP.  There is a technique of flashing the firmware on the camera to think it is the later SPC900NC model, making compatible with later versions of Windows. The problem is that you need to perform this firmware upgrade from a Windows XP machine.  It involves installing a piece of software called WcRmac and the Toucam pro and SPC900 drivers on the XP machine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V22GX7sHCUw

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Tony Dean

Have you got Win7 Pro. If so, there is a WinXP mode built in. It might be worth a try. If not, I have an XP Pro machine and am willing to give your exercise a whirl but please virus check any s/w before handing it over. Tony D.

Christopher J Baddiley

Hello Tony, I was with Mike who kindly gave me a lift to the practical astronomy show at Kettering on Saturday , a really good show, all free,  great talks in the afternoon narrowband filters solar imaging , optimum signal to noise subframe and number of frames at different light pollution levels, against detector thermal and read out noise sources in dark sky imaging, and high resolution optimal planets imaging.

I have just emailed him. I have available, a Windows XP laptop, only occasionally used for imaging in the Observatory. Once I get back after March 18. So now he has a choice.

We leave Los Angeles Monday early-morning soon.

Regards Chris

Have you got Win7 Pro. If so, there is a WinXP mode built in. It might be worth a try. If not, I have an XP Pro machine and am willing to give your exercise a whirl but please virus check any s/w before handing it over. Tony D.

Michael Morris

Thanks Chris and Tony.
Chris, Please can I borrow the laptop?  Tony, thanks very much for your offer.