Topics

Science in the Park - Saturday 29th June

Michael Morris

At last Thursday Practical Astronomer meeting I stated that the forthcoming 'Science in the Park' outreach event at Priory Park, Malvern was on Sunday 9 June - this was incorrect.  The event is actually on Saturday 29th June.

Michael Morris

Hi Everyone

Hot on the heels of last Saturday's visit to the National Space Centre, this Saturday (29th June) we are again participating in the annual 'Science in the Park' festival of science in Priory Park in Malvern (at the back of the Malvern Theatre Complex).  As in previous years will have a stand where (fingers crossed) the main attraction will be solar observing.  The weather forecast looks okay for the day.

For the last two years we have been very busy on the stand, with members each bringing along their own soar observing equipment.  This has left as equipment-rich, but personnel poor.  Each telescope must be manned at all times, so as a result we haven’t really had people available to actually talk members of the public.  So this year we are asking members NOT to bring along solar observing equipment, but instead to help with setting up (starts at 9:00 AM ish) and breaking down and with manning the stall.  Chris Livingstone will be bringing along a white light telescope and a Hydrogen Alpha telescope and the society’s Solar viewer.

Unfortunately, I’m still a bit crock and won’t be able to help out on the day L

These events are an important part of our remit, to educate and enthuse the public and to let them know about the society.  Please can anyone who can help out contact Chris on 01905 821103 so that we can make sure we have enough people to help promote astronomy and WAS at this important event.

Thanks

Edited

The weather forecast for Saturday is for a really lovely day, so we expect that that stall will be very busy. Please help if you can. I'm recovering after a stint in hospital, so I won't be able to help out.
Also, please remember to bring a sunhat and some sun tan lotion as it is forecast to be sunny and hot all day.