20160902 IoP programme.

Christopher J Baddiley

This is just to let everyone know that the Institute of physics program for this new academic year is available here...

http://www.iop.org/activity/branches/midlands/west-midlands/news/file_67877.pdf

The programme has just been printed and I have asked Alan Smith if he can get copies to Chris Livingston or Michael Morris to be available at the next meeting.

I cannot myself as  I am away until the middle of September, and also away for the October meeting.

Please note the first meeting is on September and is on an astronomical topic.

Wednesday 21st September 2016 WORCESTER ● University of Worcester, EEG089 ● Professor Nye Evans, Professor of Astrophysics, Keele University We are Star Dust Where did we come from? The elements from which we are made, and the elements that underpin our technology, are the results of thermonuclear cooking in long-dead stars. We will have an overview of how stars are born, evolve and die, how they shine, produce new elements, and contribute to the "Cosmic Recycling Bank".

The Feature meeting at Huntington Hall in November is about the comet orbiting and landing mission Rosetta

Tuesday 1st November 2016 22nd Annual Public Science Lecture. Admission by (free) ticket only from Box Office. WORCESTER ● Huntingdon Hall ● Dr Andrew Morse, Open University Rosetta – How and why to land on a Comet Comets are frozen debris remaining from the formation of our solar system. Studying them can tell us about the materials and processes occurring at that time and even how materials necessary for life could have arrived to Earth. This talk will describe the challenges of landing on a comet, highlight the mission achievements and the significance of discoveries made.

Our joint meeting is in January is about black hole jets and active galaxies.

Thursday 12th January 2017 WORCESTER ● University of Worcester, EEG089 ● Professor Diana Worrall, Professor of Physics, University of Bristol How black-hole jets heat the Universe Supermassive black holes at the centres of galaxies can send luminous jets of matter vast distances. With modern observatories in space and on the ground we explore how something `black' can provide significant heating in the Universe.

They all have a 19:30 start at the University of Worcester.

Chris Baddiley