Re: Help wanted for binocular support on tripod

Christopher Mancrief

On my Nikon binos, and on other makes as well, there is a screw in plate at the front on the hinge between the front lenses. Unscrew this and a thread is revealed into which an adaptor can be fitted. These tripod adapters are readily available. Of course this is of little use if you do not have the screw thread in the binos.  The alternative is I suppose some sort of wooden clamp that would fit across the top and bottom of the lenses to hold them in place, with a tripod fitted underneath, you would then need to fit a captive nut to accept the tripod's thread.
I don' t know if this has helped or confused but mounting onto a tripod is quite common so there ought to be some sort of fix out there for you.

On 15 Apr 2016, at 12:26, ajhpdean@... [worcesteras] <worcesteras@...> wrote:

I'm a newbie to practical astronomy and a recent member of the Society (whose more established members have already been very friendly). I'm advised that some members might be able to provide advice or assistance.

Problem: I wish to use a pair of old but excellent pair of standard type Zeiss 7x50 binoculars to learn the relative positions of the constellations & most prominent stars, etc. The binoculars are quite heavy and therefore I want to use my large well-made camera tripod to support them. The tripod has a fully adjustable camera platform complete with a standard screw fitting which stands exactly 5ft high when the tripod is fully extended (an ideal height). But there is no obvious way I can see to support the binoculars on the stand. I've tried Googling plus a few phone calls to optical equipment suppliers but to no avail.

Any info, advice or suggestions from anyone who has met this problem befor e would be gratefully received.