WELCOME

Michael Morris

WELCOME to the new Worcester Astronomical Society Newsgroup. This newsgroup is open to all members of Worcester Astronomical Society.

The newsgroup is designed to compliment the society's website, which can be found at http://worcesteras.freeserve.co.uk. It allows members to find out about breaking news, such as whether observing evenings are going ahead; post observing reports, scanned sketches and digital images; download copies of presentations and supporting materials that is available for some talks; post links to interesting websites; and chat to other members on line.

How do I join the Worcester Astronomical Society newsgroup?
Applying for membership is easy, free and should only take about 2 minutes. However, you will need to create a Yahoo! account if you don't already have one. Your membership will have to be approved on line by one of the moderators (a committee member) before you can access the members-only features. We hope to approve membership requests within a day or two, but it will probably be done much quicker. You can find out how to apply for membership at http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/index.html

Do I have to be a member of the newsgroup to read it?
No, anyone can read the postings on the newsgroup. However, you'll need to be a member to post on it or to access the files, photos or links.

How do I post a comment or question?
Once you're logged in to Yahoo!, go to the worcesteras newsgroup and click on Messages > Post on the left hand side. If you're new to the newsgroup, your first few postings will be cleared through the moderators before they appear on the newsgroup.

How to do I post pictures or sketches?
All photos and scanned sketches will be approved by a moderator before they appear on the newsgroup. Please, no family snaps or pretty landscapes - just astro stuff or society events. It's really helpful to other members if you can include details of the object you have imaged, including exposure details and the equipment and processing techniques used. Please read the photograph and sketch posting guidelines before posting any pictures. These guidelines can be found in the `Files' section.

Can I post files, links or calendar entries?
As a member you cannot directly post a file, link or calendar entry. Requests for links, calendar entries and for files to be posted to the `Files' section should be e-mailed to: worcesteras@...

What can I post?
The main stipulation is that you only post things relevant to the society and/or to astronomy. We have come up with a very simple set of posting rules. You can find them in the `Files' section.

How do I know what's been posted on the newsgroup?
If you go to `Edit membership' just above the newsgroup title bar. Scroll down to Step 2 – Message delivery to select how you want to be informed (or not) about postings to the newsgroup. If you just want to receive messages from moderators (For instance, Notification of whether Observing Evenings are going ahead or not), select Special Notices. You can change these settings at any time.

Clear skies

The Moderator Team