Topics

PYE sets sold by Aircraft Radio Co. in US

Scott Johnson

Does anyone out there have any information on the PYE sets that were badged and marketed in the mid sixties  by ARC in the US?  I have a couple of 15W high band FM hybrid sets that were removed from Aerial fire fighting tankers.  I think they may have been supplied to contracted aircraft by the U.S. forest service.  They are PYE blue, and slide into an aircraft style mounting plate.  Control heads were locally manufactured (probably by the USFS) and mounted in a standard 3 1/8’ instrument cutout.

Regards,

Scott V. Johnson W7SVJ

5111 E. Sharon Dr.

Scottsdale, AZ 85254-3636

H (602) 953-5779

C (480) 550-2358

scottjohnson1@...

scott.johnson@...

g1jwg

Scott, think they are likely to be Pye Vanguard or possibly Cambridge

Have a look on my site you may be able to identify them in the sales brochures.

Vanguard
http://radiohistory.uk/vanguardbroc.htm

Cambridge
http://radiohistory.uk/cambridgebroc.htm

Regards
Dave g1jwg

Scott Johnson

It appears to be a CM-1 Cambridge, 15W FM, but with a 24VDC power supply.  Nice radio, well built.  My bigger question is what was the relationship between Pye and ARC?  The Pye data plates are there, but there are ARC badges where the Pye badges would normally be located.

Scott V. Johnson W7SVJ

5111 E. Sharon Dr.

Scottsdale, AZ 85254-3636

H (602) 953-5779

C (480) 550-2358

scottjohnson1@...

scott.johnson@...

Scott, think they are likely to be Pye Vanguard or possibly Cambridge

Have a look on my site you may be able to identify them in the sales brochures.

Vanguard
http://radiohistory.uk/vanguardbroc.htm

Cambridge
http://radiohistory.uk/cambridgebroc.htm

Regards
Dave g1jwg

Scott Johnson

Bye the way, thanks for pointing me to your site, it is very interesting!

Regards,

Scott V. Johnson W7SVJ

5111 E. Sharon Dr.

Scottsdale, AZ 85254-3636

H (602) 953-5779

C (480) 550-2358

scottjohnson1@...

scott.johnson@...

kilobicycles

Hello Scott,

I can throw a very small amount of light on your bigger question.

In 1965 at the beginning of my engineering training at Pye Telecom I worked for a time on the production line which made the variant versions of the Pye Cambridge (as opposed to the standard products which were made on a different line). These sets would often carry the badge of the customer instead of the Pye logo.

Some batches of these remote mount FM sets were made for ARC as a custom variation and they were often dual voltage 6/12 Volt versions or 12/24 Volt versions.  Dual voltage sets can be identified by the additional long two-row Painton connector on one long side of the case.  This is the voltage selector connector and a suitably wired plug is used to set the supply voltage and to connect the suitable windings on the inverter transformer.  These sets had additional wiring inside and some of the wiring stages were not as easy to assemble as the single voltage versions.

Regards

Richard G8DJK
The Pye History Trust

Geoff Fors

ARC also sold the PYE Cambridge as a mobile telephone in the USA circa 1965, brochures and photos are on my Bell System History pages at www.wb6nvh.com. .  I believe GTE-Lenkurt used the Cambridge mobile radio as the RF section in their VHF mobile telephone offering for independent phone companies in the US in the early 1960's as well.

Geoff
WB6NVH
Monterey California

Scott Johnson

Thanks Geoff.

BTW, Looking at your mystery radios, I saw you had the SAC TAAN radio listed (Tactical Aircrew Alert Network).  The were basically voice pagers used by crews pulling alert duty.  The Motorola MAR-103 is one, there was also a GE version, I forget the model.  I lugged one around for a few years!

Scott V. Johnson W7SVJ

5111 E. Sharon Dr.

Scottsdale, AZ 85254-3636

H (602) 953-5779