From: SteveRawcliffe
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2019 1:26 PM
To: wireless-set-no19@groups.io
Subject: Re: [wireless-set-no19] RSGB NFD 1947

Interesting. We still had the R107 in the 1970s, but no sign of a WS12. Would love to have any of that kit now, but it probably got binned decades ago :-(

And yes, the stuff we not only did but were encouraged to do as teenaged cadets would have Ofsted closing the school down now. You could tell who was in the CCF Signals Section because we all had battery acid holes in our uniforms. And our Heath Robinson battery charging installation had to be seen to be believed. How we didn't burn the school down, I'll never know. Oh, and clambering around the school roof, 30 m above the ground, fixing antennas.

And then there was the armoury, run by one of the sixth-formers, giving him free access to a few dozen Lee Enfield No. 4s, a couple of Brens and goodness knows what else. Not much ammo, because the Army were pretty stingy with it, but still. When PIRA became a threat on the mainland we had to send the No. 4 bolts and Bren breech blocks  to the Tower for safe-keeping. We drew them for camp and the armourer and an officer drove off to Folkstone with instructions from the admin officer "If the IRA attack you, just hand them over" Can't really see that being allowed nowadays. Actually, it probably wasn't allowed then either, but no-one seemed to care.

73
Steve
G4YXU
(and 34B, later changed to 14!)

On Thu, 14 Nov 2019 at 14:04, Chris_Jones via Groups.Io <chrisjones12@...> wrote:
On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 12:44 PM, SteveRawcliffe wrote:
It might have been a WS12 transmitter but is more likely to have been a C12 transceiver
When I left what was then "81" back in 1964 the WS12 / R107 were very much still in evidence with no sign of a C12. We also had a WS19 and RF amplifier, but the powers that were never thought to provide the necessary dogbone or Aerial Tuning Indictance to get it working. I managed to get hold of a dogbone but the ATI eluded me.

In a sense that didn't matter much because getting batteries charged was a major logistic exercise that was close to being more trouble than it was worth. I suspect that if anyone tried now what we had to do then there would be a delivery of skyburst **** from various safety or welfare agencies.

Chris / G8GFB

Join wireless-set-no19@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.