WS A510 range? - First post

Sean_Kelly

Dear Group,

I read the A510 set was found during trials to have a range in hilly, jungle terrain of 8 miles (13 klicks). Must have been using CW although I read this a long time ago and took notes from the book/manual. the test might have been at a lower latitude and I'm just wondering, basically: "really"? Seems pretty optimistic for one wattransmitted from a ten-foot aeriel or short wire antenna.

this seems to be a good pointo mention I am looking forwards to months of adding terms to my browser's dictionary. When I make mistakes, please let me know as I am American and therefore cannot properly spell by definition.

I once heard that fire direction (calling for indirect fires) was better done using voice. I don't know the operational history of this A510 set and wonder if anyone knows if artillery missions were requested with it's CW capability? Also, does the receiver have a spotting function - the ability to tune the receiver to the transmitter's frequency? My AN/GRC-9 has this facility.

this is my first post to the group and below is the information I put in my profile on groups.io. I'm here to learn.

Sean_Kelly
 Joined on Nov 12
 Seattle, Washington, USA

Lives in the USA. Service in Air Force and Army, truck driver during Operation Desert Storm - part of US 3rd Army. Ham radio operator since 1987. Got my first military radio, a Canadian CPRC-510 then. Collecting since around 1999. I forget things, since the war. Collection includes:

CPRC-26
PRC-6
Greek PRC-6/E
PRC-21
Greek PRC-25T
PRC-77
GRC-9
TRC-77
PRT-4A & PRR-9s

Ham radio has less activity in the West, less-populated half of the USA.

My o
ther hobby is Star Trek. I like to listen to BBC.

Sean Kelly

--
Sean Kelly,
USA