XML-RPC without rig control?

Mitch, AB4MW

Is this possible?  It seems that without RigCAT being configured and selected and working that XML-RPC FLDIGI control just doesn't function.

I think it would be nice to remotely control FLDIGI regardless of radio control.  It has a LOT of features that really have nothing to do with the radio.

Can anyone suggest an alternative for controlling the modem?

Regards,
Mitch, AB4MW

Margot Conard

The interaction between FLDIGI and the radio is set up when configuring FLDIGI. There are about five options. One uses FLRIG.

Margot C.,
kb0mpl

Mitch, AB4MW

Let me restate the question.  I WANT to use XML-RPC.  I do NOT want to use rig control. 

XML-RPC has very fine-grained control over FLDIGI and it's modems and data I/O.  So the question is how can I use that to control the modem without having to use the radio control resources?

Rick Ellison

In N1MM Radio control is built into the Logger and we use the XML-RPC interface exclusively to control Fldigi. The user does not setup any radio functions in Fldigi at all. When our radios are polled we send the frequency data to Fldigi to set it’s frequency and audio frequencies. We also change the mode via the XMLRPC interface. So it is being done the way you are asking about.

73 Rick N2AMG

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mitch, AB4MW
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 8:37 AM
To: winfldigi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [winfldigi] XML-RPC without rig control?

Let me restate the question.  I WANT to use XML-RPC.  I do NOT want to use rig control. 

XML-RPC has very fine-grained control over FLDIGI and it's modems and data I/O.  So the question is how can I use that to control the modem without having to use the radio control resources?

Virus-free.www.avast.com

Mitch, AB4MW

Edited

That sounds as though the logger is using XMLRPC to control the radio.

If you are saying that XMLRPC can be used to control only FLDIGI, that is what I am after, you are correct.  So, you are just sending the UI updates and controlling the modem itself?  When I tried this with no RigCAT XML file (meaning NO rig control defined), NOTHING in XMLRPC would work.  What am I doing wrong?

Rick Ellison

No not at all. The logger supports over 100 radios that is written into our code. Fldigi is one of the Digital engines that we support for working digital modes. We send frequency and all other settings that is needed to Fldigi for the users to use. Take a look www.n1mm.com

73 Rick N2AMG

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mitch, AB4MW
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2022 9:55 AM
To: winfldigi@groups.io
Subject: Re: [winfldigi] XML-RPC without rig control?

That sounds as though the logger is using XMLRPC to control the radio to me.

Virus-free.www.avast.com

Michael Black

You can look at the Hamlib FLRig interface.  I wrote a small XML parser and generator to talk to FLRig.

https://github.com/Hamlib/Hamlib/blob/master/rigs/dummy/flrig.c

Mike W9MDB

On Saturday, November 26, 2022 at 07:36:58 AM CST, Mitch, AB4MW <ab4mw@...> wrote:

Mitch, AB4MW

Hi Mike, it's been a while.

Not looking for rig control.  The command set for this one little rig is tiny in CAT and I handle it directly so I can massage some of it's very unique settings not typically found on Ham rigs.

So I was looking for modem control only.....AND, a revisit of the test code now shows it working the way I want it.  Consider this non-issue now closed :)

Thanks all for responding.