N3FJP Logs bug

Danny K5CG

When using N3FJP's logging programs where the logging program is controlling the radio (CI-V), FLDIGI does not send <RIGTX> or <RIGRX> commands to the API for PTT.

"PTT  via <RIGTX> and <RIGRX>" is enabled,

These commands do not appear in the data stream (log) when I try to transmit from FLDIGI but I can key the radio if I use telnet to connect to the the N3FJP Logger API.

It appears FLDIGI is not sending these commands.

FLDIGI v4.1.23
Windows 10 X64

Danny
K5CG

David Latour

I always run FLDigi in control of the radio, it works a treat 

N9JCA Chris

Join Scott's group at .io

He might be able to help

Chris N9JCA

On 11/24/22 09:17, David Latour wrote:

I always run FLDigi in control of the radio, it works a treat 

Danny K5CG

Thanks David but you can't have TWO programs controlling ONE Radio. N3FJP's logging programs don't have a client mode to connect to flrig.

Danny K5CG

Thanks Chris,

Been there done that!

As I mentioned in my original post, I can telnet to the N3FJP Logging program on it's API and send the commands manually and it works. The problem is that FLDIGI is not sending the commands.

From my chair it appears FLDIGI has a bug.

Danny

WA4GUD Dave

Hi All,

Several bugs related to the N3FJP interface (including this one) have been fixed in a commit.  There are several commits in the fldigi queue that have to be vetted by Dave Freese and test team before they can be floated as an alpha.  I just wanted to confirm this is a known bug and the fix has been identified.

DaveT
--
WA4GUD

Danny K5CG

That's great news Dave.

I'm waiting for this fix to be able to unit test my portable Winter Field Day station so please add me to the list of alpha/beta testers if possible.

Danny

Dave

You might want to apply the KISS principle.  fldigi fully supports Winter Field Day, including logging, without having to run the N3FJP software.  Less screen clutter.  flrig may provide more operational control than either fldigi or N3FJP software.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 11/24/22 13:53, Danny K5CG wrote:

That's great news Dave.

I'm waiting for this fix to be able to unit test my portable Winter Field Day station so please add me to the list of alpha/beta testers if possible.

Danny

Danny K5CG

Hi David. I was planning to use Scott's logging software because I am familiar with it from some club events, but I'll try the KISS method and see how that goes.

Thank you.

Danny

Dave

DaveT's work and my own will be merged tomorrow and a new alpha test fldigi will be published before the close of day.

David, W1HKJ

On 11/24/22 13:04, WA4GUD Dave via groups.io wrote:

Hi All,

Several bugs related to the N3FJP interface (including this one) have been fixed in a commit.  There are several commits in the fldigi queue that have to be vetted by Dave Freese and test team before they can be floated as an alpha.  I just wanted to confirm this is a known bug and the fix has been identified.

DaveT
--
WA4GUD

Larry Krist

The problem I am having is that when you click on a TN for Tennessee it puts an 09 in the Ser field every time. I have seen this happen before in another contest also. Also some times t macro will repeat for a reason I cannot figure out. Using Alpha 4.1.23.22. Has been happening with older versions also.

Larry  N8CWU

On 1/7/2023 9:44 PM, Dave wrote:

DaveT's work and my own will be merged tomorrow and a new alpha test fldigi will be published before the close of day.

David, W1HKJ

On 11/24/22 13:04, WA4GUD Dave via groups.io wrote:
Hi All,

DaveT
--
WA4GUD

Fred K2DFC

When I click on a serial number from a DX station 25% of the time it goes in the RST SENT box. Takes awhile to fix. You can manually insert it in the serial box but only one number at a time having to click the cursor each time. Eliminates the ability to call CQ and run stations. This has happened in past years with this contest.

Fred
K2DFC

Cliff

Fred,

Did you ever figure out how to make it work consistently.  As I recall there is a text capture order given for the transferring of data for each contest. If it's out of order fldigi chooses what it thinks it is and in your case it's guessing wrong. Try the shown order of entry and see if that helps.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 8, 2023, at 08:55, Fred K2DFC via groups.io <k2dfc@...> wrote:

When I click on a serial number from a DX station 25% of the time it goes in the RST SENT box. Takes awhile to fix. You can manually insert it in the serial box but only one number at a time having to click the cursor each time. Eliminates the ability to call CQ and run stations. This has happened in past years with this contest.

Fred
K2DFC

Fred K2DFC

Thanks Cliff. But the order you have listed is the same here. For most contacts the state would be second. If I change and put serial number second then wouldn't the state go into the wrong box?

Fred
K2DFC

Cliff

Fred,

The program checks to see if the text makes sense for what it's expecting. I suspect it will work fine if you use the order listed in the config. Try it and see. It obviously isn't working like it should the way you are doing it. I'm not saying there couldn't be a bug, but try it as described. These were tested pretty well before publishing.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 9, 2023, at 16:37, Fred K2DFC via groups.io <k2dfc@...> wrote:

Thanks Cliff. But the order you have listed is the same here. For most contacts the state would be second. If I change and put serial number second then wouldn't the state go into the wrong box?

Fred
K2DFC

Fred K2DFC

Yes Cliff I have that order. CALL,STATE,SERNO,Country. And half the time it works as expected. The other half puts it in the RST Sent. And the RST's are set to be 599 all the time so they are not blank.

Fred
K2DFC

Cliff

I just realized that this is connected to the N3FJP software. Can you test it without the N3FJP software running and see if it's working ok. We just need determine if it's somehow an interface problem on just a fldigi issue.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 9, 2023, at 18:12, Fred K2DFC via groups.io <k2dfc@...> wrote:

Yes Cliff I have that order. CALL,STATE,SERNO,Country. And half the time it works as expected. The other half puts it in the RST Sent. And the RST's are set to be 599 all the time so they are not blank.

Fred
K2DFC

Fred K2DFC

Cliff, if you read my post from Jan 6, "Getting ready for contest" you will see another oddity I have when connected to N3FJP via API. As for the serial number problem I haven't tried it yet as stand alone. But without the contest I'm not sure manual inserting numbers will tell us anything. Which brings up another thing. If you go to insert a three digit number manually in the serno box you have to click the cursor three times. It will only accept one number at a time. This I think I tried with API disconnected and it then worked.

Another ham here also had a different problem which only showed up with the API connection.

Fred
K2DFC

Cliff

I remember your earlier report.

Dave Freese posted a message indicating that he had fixed some interface issues so when that gets posted for everyone to try I suggest you try that and see if the problems go away. Not much to do now until that is available.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Jan 9, 2023, at 20:38, Fred K2DFC via groups.io <k2dfc@...> wrote:

Cliff, if you read my post from Jan 6, "Getting ready for contest" you will see another oddity I have when connected to N3FJP via API. As for the serial number problem I haven't tried it yet as stand alone. But without the contest I'm not sure manual inserting numbers will tell us anything. Which brings up another thing. If you go to insert a three digit number manually in the serno box you have to click the cursor three times. It will only accept one number at a time. This I think I tried with API disconnected and it then worked.

Another ham here also had a different problem which only showed up with the API connection.

Fred
K2DFC