Last 2 Alphas (.47 & .48) very slow to load #flrig

Dave Corio

I usually give the new alpha versions a try and very seldom see any issues until now. I generally don't try a version if it only contains upgrades for a rig I don't use.

The last alpha I have that worked perfectly was 1.4.7.27. The last two versions have both installed with no issues, but when started they each took 30 to 35 seconds to load, and at one point in starting a "Not Responding" message appears, although it does eventually start with no action taken. As a comparison, my 1.4.7.27 takes only 3 seconds to load.

When fully running, commands (freq change, filter width, etc.) may take 3 to 5 seconds to be followed, although after a few minutes they do get close to normal performance. This is the case whether other apps (FLdigi, etc) are running or not.

I usually install new versions in the same folder as previous versions (C:\Ham Radio\FLRig) but also tried these in the default directory with the same results.

Perhaps it's a simple matter of me overlooking something, but I can find no reason for this change in behavior, and there are no error messages or logs, other than the "Not Responding" message in the title bar.

Equipment:
IC-7200 w/USB control
Older Dell Optiplex 990 i5 2400 quad core w/16G RAM @ 3.2 Ghz
Win 10 22H2 w/all updates

Tnx es 73
Dave - K1DJE

Cliff

Very strange Dave. My 7300 runs flawlessly. I wonder if something is really grabbing the CPU on your system.

Please take a screen shot of your flrig config/transceiver page and post it here.

On Nov 22, 2022, at 10:36, Dave Corio via groups.io <k1dje@...> wrote:

[...]

    That's exactly the way it acts - as if the system is bogging down. I used Windows Resource Monitor and Task Manager and can see nothing accessing any overhead that shouldn't be there. That's why my first suspicion is that something changed recently and I missed it.

    The screen shot is from 1.4.7.49 posted earlier today, but anything prior to and including 1.4.7.27 work perfectly.

Tnx es 73

Dave - K1DJE

On 11/22/2022 6:51 PM, Cliff wrote:

[...]

Dave,

This is my config dialog for the 7300 (on Linux, but only the serial port should be different)

Suggest you see if you are configured correctly.

Dave

On 11/22/22 18:39, Dave Corio via groups.io wrote:

[...]

    That tears it. I should not be allowed around anything more technical than a doorknob.

    I would have sworn that all Icoms used 2 stop bits. I reset all the timing on the right side to match yours and it made no difference. I changed the stop bits to 1 and it made no difference. Changing the Echo to "on" made the difference. Works perfectly now.

    What really puzzles me is that it makes no difference if I use 1 or 2 stop bits. Always thought that was important. Some things I am just not meant to know!

Thanks Dave & Cliff es 73!

Dave - K1DJE

On 11/22/2022 8:08 PM, Dave wrote:

[...]

That's good news. From my experience Stop Bits are not critical. Echo is required if the setting in the rig is set to expect it. The 7300 and I assume 7200 work either way depending on the setup in the rig settings.

On Nov 22, 2022, at 19:30, Dave Corio via groups.io <k1dje@...> wrote:

    That tears it. I should not be allowed around anything more technical than a doorknob.

    I would have sworn that all Icoms used 2 stop bits. I reset all the timing on the right side to match yours and it made no difference. I changed the stop bits to 1 and it made no difference. Changing the Echo to "on" made the difference. Works perfectly now.

    What really puzzles me is that it makes no difference if I use 1 or 2 stop bits. Always thought that was important. Some things I am just not meant to know!

Thanks Dave & Cliff es 73!

Dave - K1DJE

On 11/22/2022 8:08 PM, Dave wrote:
Dave,

This is my config dialog for the 7300 (on Linux, but only the serial port should be different)

<ywQz16auMVJGA6U0.png>

[...]

James W

Start “Task Manager”  and click on the “Processes” tab, then click on the “CPU” column.  That should help see what is using up your CPU time.

James Wascisin

360-384-0697 home

360-966-1939 mobile

N7RDG