CW Transmit Question #fldigi

KQ4DEH

Hey guys I am very new to this.  I have everything setup just about right I think. Problem is, when I send CW the transmit light comes on the radio, my Amp fires up, but its a constant signal and not bokken like CW that I can hear  I have a TS-890 and am using HAMLIB mode in the app.  Any ideas?

Cliff

Is the rig in digital mode and fldigi in CW mode?

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 20, 2022, at 16:40, KQ4DEH via groups.io <lee.shand@...> wrote:

Hey guys I am very new to this.  I have everything setup just about right I think. Problem is, when I send CW the transmit light comes on the radio, my Amp fires up, but its a constant signal and not bokken like CW that I can hear  I have a TS-890 and am using HAMLIB mode in the app.  Any ideas?

KQ4DEH

CW mode yes.  Not sure what you mean by digital mode n the rig.

Cliff

Some rigs have a specific digital mode like USB-D. Some older ones just use the USB mode. My point is that the rig should not be in CW mode, but the same mode as you use for any other digital mode like PSK31.

Realize that the soundcard CW will not be keying the transmitter on and off, but only sending audio to the rig that will be heard on the other end as if you were doing manual CW and keying the rig off and on.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 21, 2022, at 01:50, KQ4DEH via groups.io <lee.shand@...> wrote:

Adrian Fewster

If you are CW mode then you are using PC RTS or DTR etc PC keying and not afsk pretend cw yes ?

I see all of these methods supported by FLdigi.

Adrian ... vk4tux

On 21/11/22 17:50, KQ4DEH via groups.io wrote:

Adrian Fewster

If the rig supports cw PC keying or in RTTY;  ExtFSK keying then no afsk mode in a ssb derivative nor soundcard is required, and CW and RTTY mo0des may be used direct

with this method, I see that FLdigi supports this.

Adrian ... vk4tux

On 21/11/22 22:42, Cliff wrote:

Some rigs have a specific digital mode like USB-D. Some older ones just use the USB mode. My point is that the rig should not be in CW mode, but the same mode as you use for any other digital mode like PSK31.

Realize that the soundcard CW will not be keying the transmitter on and off, but only sending audio to the rig that will be heard on the other end as if you were doing manual CW and keying the rig off and on.

Cliff, AE5ZA

Cliff

Correct. You still receive via the soundcard, but the TX can be controlled several ways like you've seen.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 21, 2022, at 06:47, Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

If the rig supports cw PC keying or in RTTY;  ExtFSK keying then no afsk mode in a ssb derivative nor soundcard is required, and CW and RTTY mo0des may be used direct

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian Fewster

Unless you just rely on the radio decoder or your ears for RX.

Can FLdigi log a qso like this ? It still has the other parties call in the sent transmission. ?

Adrian ... vk4tux

On 24/11/22 14:20, Cliff wrote:

Correct. You still receive via the soundcard, but the TX can be controlled several ways like you've seen.

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Cliff

You can log what ever is in the Logging area of fldigi. It doesn't even have to be be something current, but then the times/date will be wrong. You could fix the time/date later by editing the log entry.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 23, 2022, at 22:36, Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

Can FLdigi log a qso like this ? It still has the other parties call in the sent transmission. ?

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian Fewster

Cliff, doesn't the send field forward to log the field sent PCkeying/RTS  ?

N1MM does this with the same method.

Adrian

On 24/11/22 14:39, Cliff wrote:

You can log what ever is in the Logging area of fldigi. It doesn't even have to be be something current, but then the times/date will be wrong. You could fix the time/date later by editing the log entry.

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Cliff

No, the SEND just sends what ever is in the transmit buffer. Nothing to do with logging.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Nov 23, 2022, at 22:51, Adrian Fewster <vk4tux@...> wrote:

Cliff, doesn't the send field forward to log the field sent PCkeying/RTS  ?

N1MM does this with the same method.

Adrian

On 24/11/22 14:39, Cliff wrote:

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA

Adrian ... vk4tux

Cliff, AE5ZA