Counter Not Moving Forward

Jim Ruff

I trying to operate in the BARTG RTTY contest and the serial number counter will not increase after I log a contact.  It always returns to 001.  I have had this issue in every contest.

I have to exit Fldigi, restart, go into the Config/Contest menu and reset the counter after each qso.  The software then registers the qso with the correct serial number for one qso only. Once I log the contact the counter goes back to 001, and when I hit either of my macros to move it forward there is no joy.

My two macros to move the counter forward are  <LOG><INC>  and <INC>.  Also, because someone always states the obvious, I have read the manual many times.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

Cliff

Jim,

Are you using another logging program than fldigi? Sometimes that plays a part in these kinds of issues.

Also, you are doing the INC when you are back in Rx correct?

On Mar 19, 2022, at 14:41, Jim Ruff via groups.io <W7JHR@...> wrote:

I trying to operate in the BARTG RTTY contest and the serial number counter will not increase after I log a contact.  It always returns to 001.  I have had this issue in every contest.

I have to exit Fldigi, restart, go into the Config/Contest menu and reset the counter after each qso.  The software then registers the qso with the correct serial number for one qso only. Once I log the contact the counter goes back to 001, and when I hit either of my macros to move it forward there is no joy.

My two macros to move the counter forward are  <LOG><INC>  and <INC>.  Also, because someone always states the obvious, I have read the manual many times.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

Jim Ruff

Hi Cliff,

I was running AClog in the background, but not using it as a contest log.  I turned it off, and Fldigi logged the next ten qso's properly and moved  the contest counter up.

Thanks for your tip.  I was about ready to give up on it.

Regards,
Jim W7JHR

Sent from Yahoo Mail. Get the app

John KC4LZN

Isn't the command <INCR> instead of <INC>

Missing the "R"

73

John
KC4LZN

On Sat, Mar 19, 2022, 15:48 Cliff <ae5zaham@...> wrote:
[...]

You are correct, John. I didn't pick up on that detail, but it must have been a typo since he reported back that when he closed ACLog that it began working correctly.

On Mar 19, 2022, at 21:10, John KC4LZN <kc4lzn@...> wrote:

[...]

That was a typo on my part.  My macro was <INCR>.  I had taken it right off the macro tag list.  Turning off AClog solved my problem. Thanks for your help guys.

iu1mrd@...

Hi all.
My macro is "... <INCR><CNTR>..."
Saturday S# reached let say 85. I closed fldigi (and shut down the computer).
Today (Sunday) opened again fldigi and after a couple of qso I realized S# has started again from 000
I suppose there is something wrong on my side...
fldigi 4.1.20.50
sys op win  10 pro 21H2

TNX in advance.
73 de IU1MRD - gio'

Cliff

Go to fldigi Configuration/Contests/General. Set the Start Number to 86 then click Reset.

On Mar 20, 2022, at 15:15, iu1mrd@... wrote:

Hi all.
My macro is "... <INCR><CNTR>..."
Saturday S# reached let say 85. I closed fldigi (and shut down the computer).
Today (Sunday) opened again fldigi and after a couple of qso I realized S# has started again from 000
I suppose there is something wrong on my side...
fldigi 4.1.20.50
sys op win  10 pro 21H2

TNX in advance.
73 de IU1MRD - gio'

Jim Ruff

 Hi Cliff,

Now that BARTG is over, can you answer why the counter doesn’t move forward if another logging program, in my case AClog, is open?  I have used AClog contest logs in the past and will discontinue using them if they cause problems for Fldigi.

Thanks,

iu1mrd@...

Hi Cliff, tnx for your hints
I check it out the printscreen you post here.
This is mine:

I click [RESET], [SAVE], [CLOSE]
I click my macro and it send 046, 047, etc etc etc.

Nevertheless each time I close and re-open fldigi S# in the main screen is 000 and each time I click my macro it send 001, 002, 003 ...
Something else to check?
TNX in advance - Giovanni

Cliff

Giovanni,

That is as designed. Fldigi always will start at zero and require the reset to start the serial number working each time it starts. If you don't shutdown fldigi until the end of the contest then all will be well.

If it kept the old information on restart then if you wanted to start a new contest you would have to reset the number anyway. You could ask Dave Freese if he would be willing to add more options, but for now that is how it is.

On Mar 21, 2022, at 01:18, iu1mrd@... wrote:

Hi Cliff, tnx for your hints
I check it out the printscreen you post here.
This is mine:
<dummyfile.0.part>
I click [RESET], [SAVE], [CLOSE]
I click my macro and it send 046, 047, etc etc etc.

Nevertheless each time I close and re-open fldigi S# in the main screen is 000 and each time I click my macro it send 001, 002, 003 ...
Something else to check?
TNX in advance - Giovanni

iu1mrd@...

Ok tnx for support.

Btw, I'm not very fond of contest and so not an expert... if I may ask: is it ok to start S# each contest day from 000
or it is needed an unique number across the contest period? Generally speaking I mean.
Cheers

Cliff

As far as I know within one contest each contact should have a unique serial number. I don't know of any contest that would not be this way unless a serial number is not required at all, but I am not a big contester either.

On Mar 21, 2022, at 07:32, iu1mrd@... wrote:

Ok tnx for support.

Btw, I'm not very fond of contest and so not an expert... if I may ask: is it ok to start S# each contest day from 000
or it is needed an unique number across the contest period? Generally speaking I mean.
Cheers

David Paquette

Not all contest require a serial number, all have different exchanges. If a serial number is required you start at 1 and continue thru the whole contest with that serial number sequence,  1, 2,3 ...500 so on. Hope that helps.

Larry Banks

Every contest that I know of that uses serial numbers requires a unique s/n for each Q.  I use Fldigi with the ACLog suite of contest programs and have no issues, including stopping and starting Fldigi.

Larry / W1DYJ

On 3/21/2022 8:47, Cliff wrote:

As far as I know within one contest each contact should have a unique serial number. I don't know of any contest that would not be this way unless a serial number is not required at all, but I am not a big contester either.

On Mar 21, 2022, at 07:32, iu1mrd@... wrote:

Ok tnx for support.

Btw, I'm not very fond of contest and so not an expert... if I may ask: is it ok to start S# each contest day from 000
or it is needed an unique number across the contest period? Generally speaking I mean.
Cheers

Cliff

Jim,

I do not use a separate logging program so have no experience in that area. I just know I have seen that happen, but as you see by David's response it works fine for him. Maybe it is a function of the version of ACLog or the setup in fldigi? Sorry not to have definite help in this area. You might talk to the ACLog people as well.

On Mar 20, 2022, at 21:26, Jim Ruff via groups.io <W7JHR@...> wrote:

 Hi Cliff,

Now that BARTG is over, can you answer why the counter doesn’t move forward if another logging program, in my case AClog, is open?  I have used AClog contest logs in the past and will discontinue using them if they cause problems for Fldigi.

Thanks,

iu1mrd@...

From my side tnx a lot to all of you for support.

If I'm allowed to make a wish:
-- change/option to persist S# from session to session
(keep the last number when you start fldigi as default behaviour, a button to reset to 000 if you really want to zero)
-- Alternative: format <QSONBR> on 3 digit with leading zero as required by most contest.

73

Larry Krist

As it was explained to me in a while ago when I was having a similar problem/question with a similar problem that  you are experiencing ---  this may have provide some basic explanation on what you were experiencing. If I am wrong, I am sure someone will correct me.

AC Log is not a contest logging program. It is just a general log

Per an agreement between Dave and Scott, Both do not support every contest. By that I mean, N3FJP has specific contest loggers that are supported by FLDIGI, but not all are such as the BARTG RTTY. N3FJP has no contest log for the BARTG contest. Thus if you try to use the AC Log with the API in AC Log Enabled and the connect box checked in FLDIGI under N3FJP Logs , then it causes FLDIGI to act in a way that you do not want it to for the contest and it reverts back to the  general N3FJP Amateur Contact Log setup. That is why when you closed AC log, FLDIGI started to log the serial numbers as you wanted it to. You probably selected in FLDIGI under contests the BARTG RTTY contest and when it did not find any N3FJP Program, it did not change and worked as you expected it to.  You can see with N3FJP program is being queried and used at the top of the FLDIGI screen.

If you use the proper N3FJP Contest logging program, and have both API in N3FJP Contest Logger and The box in FLDIGI LOGS checked, the FLDIG will automatically pick the proper contest and load the proper default fields and both will work together properly. This however, is expecting  you to have your macros properly written and used in FLDIGI.

When you have the API enabled in AC Log and AC Log selected in FLDIGI, FLDIGI will revert from any contest  you select to the generic FLDIGI setup, thus eliminating the serial number function.

Hope this helps some

Larry  N8CWU