FLDigi UI Colors

Keith VK3HD

Edited

Hi;
I enjoy Fldigi and use several modes.
One question - how can I change the on/off colors for the AFC and SQL on the User Interface?
Have changed TxID and RxID to a color that suits me, but cannot find AFC and SQL.
I am color deficient (incorrectly called color blind) but I can see many colors OK but those on the defaut UI present a problem for me.
Thank you
VK3HD - Fldigi ver 4.1.16  Yaesu FT991A  Windows 10 Pro.

Cliff

Configure/Colors-Fonts/Buttons.

I have the same color “deficiency”. :-)

On Nov 15, 2020, at 22:21, keithbone@... wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi;
I enjoy Fldigi and use several modes.
One question - how can I change the on/off colors for the AFC and SQL on the User Interface?
Have changed TxID and RxID to a color that suits me, but cannot find AFC and SQL.
I am color deficient (incorrectly called color blind) but I can see many colors OK but those on the defaut UI present a problem for me.
Thank you
VK3HD - Fldigi ver 4.1.16  Yaesu FT991A  Windows 10 Pro.

Keith VK3HD

Thanks Cliff;
Worked a treat and I can now easily see which uttins and indicators ar active.
Wanted so much to get pilot's licence until doctor told me to forget it.
One GP friend of mine put me through the Ishihara charts and he laughed at each of the 20 or so I got wrong until I threatened to biff him.

Cheers and thank you - I did not realise there was more than one color tab.
de Keith vk3hd

Cliff

Hi Keith,

Glad you’re setup now.

Understand about the pilot license. Had the same thing with the vision test, but here in the US I could get a private, daytime only with the poor color vision. Eventually got a FAA flight test with light gun signals and I passed that so got a waiver and went on to commercial.

On Nov 19, 2020, at 02:06, keithbone@... wrote:

Thanks Cliff;
Worked a treat and I can now easily see which uttins and indicators ar active.
Wanted so much to get pilot's licence until doctor told me to forget it.
One GP friend of mine put me through the Ishihara charts and he laughed at each of the 20 or so I got wrong until I threatened to biff him.

Cheers and thank you - I did not realise there was more than one color tab.
de Keith vk3hd

K3eui <K3eui@...>

Here is a (kind of) funny and true story about "colors" and software/hardware.

Two years ago I bought a new Icom 7610 (I'm retired)
I am also  "red-green" color blind (which I've known for 70 years).

I did not bother to read much of the Icom 7610 manual, having operated receivers, transmitters, and transceivers for well over 60 years. And my last few HF SSB rigs were Icoms. They are very intuitive to operate.

HOWEVER.....  I accidentally pushed in the Main Receiver's  AF VOL knob (just playing around) and then  WHAM....   I lost all audio on the MAIN channel.  The secondary channel was fine.
I tried headphones...no luck.  My main receiver was unusable.
UGH.

Now...  Icom does provide a small LED indicator that "changes color" from yellow to amber when you  MUTE  the audio.  Icom calls this a feature!! However, I could not see the LED color change.  Yellow and Amber both look yellow to me. Hey, I'm deficient in the far RED region of the spectrum. So reds and greens get confusing (I'm ok with traffic lights) and red sunsets never impress me.

So here I am with a brand new  $3k transceiver that has NO AUDIO on the main channel.  I was ready to box up my brand new Icom 7610 and send it back to the distributer/repair center since the MAIN receiver's audio was "gone".

Lucky for me, I decided to consult the Icom 7610 manual.
There, in very small print, was this new "feature" called Audio MUTE.
Bingo...  very clever of Icom to MUTE either Main or Sub receiver with a push of a VOL knob. But the color change was not noticed by me.

I called in my wife (who is not color blind) and sure enough, when you push IN the AF (volume) knob, the LED changes color and the audio does get muted.  Obvious to her. Invisible to me.

Wow... was I ever embarrassed.  Lucky I had not sent it back for "repairs".  BTW...  I love that new radio. Wish I could change the colors of the LED's like the FLDIGI software!!

I changed all of the colors to BLUE  when "on".
I also changed the receiver sensitivity "feature" (the diamond color) from BLACK (that's easy to see) to GREEN (green is good) and then changed the YELLOW  to BLUE  (easy to see) and of course, the overload is still RED  (I never need to see that one).

With a sigh,  TU  for allowing us to modify the colors

K3EUI   Barry
(I've got great hearing)