Kenwood ts-590DG

I have a friend with a TS-590SG that needs help. Can anyone give me the communications settings for that rig?

Joe Dz

Hi Dave,

Below is a copy and paste of my TS-590SG settings along with WSJT-X settings, but the same rig settings work fine on fldigi as well.

I have been using the TS-590SG just fine with WSJT-X and fldigi just fine for years on Ubuntu and W10.  Below are some rig and WSJT-X settings just in case they help.

Joe, K1YOW

33 SSB Data Low Cut 100 Hz

34 SSB Data Hi Cut 3000 Hz

36 DSP Equalizer OFF

37 DSP Equalizer OFF

68 USB Speed 115200 baud

69 USB line selected for data in

70 REAR input selected (disables the mic)

71 USB Audio In Level at 1 (that way I have more headway in the software to change the Tx volume).

72 USB Audio Out Level at 2

75 USB Beep Tones OFF

76 VOX for DATA is OFF  (unless you are using VOX to trigger the Tx – I am using CAT)

I put the TS-590SG via the front panel in USB mode with DATA selected as well.  You also may have to play with the audio settings in 71 and 72.

Now, if you are also going to run MSK144 for meteor scatter, you want the rig DSP to be as wide as possible.

29 SSB Data Filter 1  (this changes the front panel control DSP shift to a DSP width and then open it up to 5 KHz via the front panel knob)

For WSJT-X, I have the following settings:

Radio selected: TS-590SG

Poll Interval 1s

Serial Port – whatever comm port Windows installed the USB CODEC driver on

Serial Port Parameter 115200 (or whatever you selected in the rig)

Data bits Eight

Stop Bits One

Handshake NONE

PTT Method CAT

Transmit Audio Source REAR/DATA

Mode NONE

Split Operation RIG

Audio USB CODEC

Thanks, I’ll try that.

73’s

Dave

KA3PMW

[...]

K3eui <K3eui@...>

I recall that all of the Knwd HF SSB  rigs with built-in internal usb audio need to have the  AUDIO  SOUND CARD  setting

Tx audio on  BOTH  left and right channels  selected

Or, this also works,

REVERSE   Left/Right  audio on the TX  side
     (The receive audio is fine as is)

If you connect an external SignaLink, then I recall you have to change the Tx input  from  USB  port  to  ACC   (DATA port on rear of radio).

I also found if you set up  the MENU  for  DATA VOX  (and turn VOX on in the List Function) that you don't need any COM port or  CAT  control at all to accomplish  PTT  (send).
Set the VOX DATA GAIN  to an appropriate value, and the DELAY to something like .5 seconds and you should be fine.

Kenwood CAT needs the  RTS  pin for "handshaking" on a COM port I think, so do not try to use  Hardware  PTT  via the RTS pin if you also have CAT control on the SAME com port.
RTS  can't do two functions on the same COM port.

I've not noticed any advantages/disadvantages of  SignaLink vs. Internal USB audio, and know ops who do both ways.
Just be sure to look at your  ALC  and set it for ZERO  ALC  on any digi mode.  Back off the Tx  audio, not the  RF power output.

That's from memory, as I do not own a Knwd 590S/SG

Barry  k3eui