Waterfall Not Working Since Last Upgrade v4.1.03 #arhab

Software was working yesterday, decoding CW nicely.  I upgraded to newest version.  Scope shows signal and SIG button shows signal but no waterfall when button is on WF.  I checked CONFIGURE - SoundCard - Audio and ensured that both my RTLSDR and this setting are on VB Cable which worked on last version.  What am I missing?

Cliff

I suspect the 2 numbers to the right of the WF button that affect the waterfall contrast got changed somehow. Set them to 0 and 70 for starters if they are not somewhat close to those numbers already and see if that makes a difference. Check the manual for more detail on what they do and how to adjust them for the desired effect.

On May 12, 2019, at 05:58, Jon Kreski <jkreski@...> wrote:

Software was working yesterday, decoding CW nicely.  I upgraded to newest version.  Scope shows signal and SIG button shows signal but no waterfall when button is on WF.  I checked CONFIGURE - SoundCard - Audio and ensured that both my RTLSDR and this setting are on VB Cable which worked on last version.  What am I missing?

Thanks.  Settings were near spec but I altered them to your suggested settings.  No difference.  I can see, in the upper wide yellow section, the software decoding to text but since I can't use the waterfall to tune to a specific strong signal it's probably just decoding noise - but doing a darn good job of it!  smile...

Cliff

Hmmm….

What version of fldigi were you using before the upgrade? If you run that version does the waterfall display normally?

Set the squelch slider at about 15% and see if the decoding stops.

Regarding the problem, do you see signals on the 7300 waterfall display?

The only thing I can think of that would leave the display blank is no or very low input signal level. For instance if my antenna is disconnected I see almost nothing on the waterfall or of course if the audio setup is pointing to the wrong codec. The FFT display should be indicating a jagged  line across the display and above the bottom of the display with signals rising above the base noise level. The SIG display should normally be 25% - 75% filling the space between the two horizontal lines with the lefthand number beside the waterfall at 0. If you don’t see these then somehow the signal from the radio isn’t getting to fldigi.

On May 12, 2019, at 20:08, Jon Kreski <jkreski@...> wrote:

Thanks.  Settings were near spec but I altered them to your suggested settings.  No difference.  I can see, in the upper wide yellow section, the software decoding to text but since I can't use the waterfall to tune to a specific strong signal it's probably just decoding noise - but doing a darn good job of it!  smile...

I removed the old version thinking maybe a conflict.  It did the same as the new version after the upgrade.
I did test the squelch effect on decodes.  If I set the squelch on and above the green signal strength indicator it does stop it.  It does not at a level below that level.
What is the 7300 waterfall display?
Attached is a screen shot of what I see.  I run 4 RTLSDR dongles, 1 for HF only and three for satellite decoding and general scanning of mixed modes.
Yes, I disconnected all other dongles and tried that as well.
The signal level is low but usually if I can see it I can tune it - and I can see it on the dongle software side.  Looking for a strong CW signal to verify though...
The FFT display is also quiet but the SIG display shows the expected RF display.

Cliff

Hi Jon,

I suspected the old version would now show the same thing. Something has changed to lower your signal strength. Check the 7300 menu/set/connectors/Acc/USB AF Output Level. I run mine at 80%. That determines the input to the computer. In Windows there is the mixer also in the stream so you can boost the sound level there as well. Be careful, overdriving the audio will cause distortion and cause poor decoding. Again, read the manual on setting the audio input level to fldigi. Dave spends a great deal of time putting out a very nice and helpful manual. It’s nearly 500 pages now. Get the PDF version so you can search it to find what you need.

The Spectrum Scope on the 7300 will show a waterfall similar to fldigi. You can adjust the bandwidth shown by using the SPAN touch screen button. You should see the signals there. If nothing or only very weak sigs show there you won’t see much in fldgi either.

You can increase the contrast on the fldigi waterfall by lowering the first waterfall number from 0 to let’s say -5 or -10. Read up in the manual on the use of those numbers and that may help you see more on your waterfall. It won’t affect what gets into fldigi for decoding though. That is adjusted by the mixer and the radio output settings.

On May 13, 2019, at 21:23, Jon Kreski <jkreski@...> wrote:

I removed the old version thinking maybe a conflict.  It did the same as the new version after the upgrade.
I did test the squelch effect on decodes.  If I set the squelch on and above the green signal strength indicator it does stop it.  It does not at a level below that level.
What is the 7300 waterfall display?
Attached is a screen shot of what I see.  I run 4 RTLSDR dongles, 1 for HF only and three for satellite decoding and general scanning of mixed modes.
Yes, I disconnected all other dongles and tried that as well.
The signal level is low but usually if I can see it I can tune it - and I can see it on the dongle software side.  Looking for a strong CW signal to verify though...
The FFT display is also quiet but the SIG display shows the expected RF display. <Screenshot _19_.png>

Thanks.  I do not have a 7300.  I have RTLSDRs that I have been experimenting with.  Wonderful mixed mode decoders in scan mode and work well, along with VB Cable for my satellite decoding work.
I did try the settings for waterfall.  The had no effect but when I switched it to SIG I saw that when I got down around -10 it seemed I could see more of a block with quiet between blocks for the CW being sent.
Wondering about firewall or virus prevention software that could be preventing the data, or perhaps a driver that might be missing?
I decoded both US and Russian weather satellites with the dongles today and so VB Cable functionality on the computer seems to be working well for other purposes.
Anyone else have any ideas please?

Cliff

Opps. Somehow I got it in my head that you had a 7300 in the mix. Guess I’ve been reading too many emails. :)

Hope you find where the signal is getting lost or at least seriously attenuated.