Topics

N1MM Rig

Kevin Utzy

I have everything working between the new release of Fldigi and N1MM.  Nice and looks good too.

I have just a curiosity.  The reason I kept Fldigi and N1MM in different directories is if I use Fldigi alone I use Flrig for rig control.   You couldn’t do that in N1MM.  Now when I look at Fldigi, there is no rig control selected.  My curiosity is what would happen if say selected the check box for Flrig?  No great desire, like said, just curious.

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

ve3ki

Two programs running at the same time cannot both have the same serial port open. If N1MM+ has the rig control port open, flrig will be unable to open it.

When you are running Fldigi as the digital engine in N1MM+, you should use a separate copy of Fldigi from the one you use stand-alone, so that the two can have different configurations. The on-line N1MM+ documentation describes how to do this.

73,
Rich VE3KI

On Thu, Apr 18, 2019 at 12:05 AM, Kevin Utzy wrote:

I have everything working between the new release of Fldigi and N1MM.  Nice and looks good too.

I have just a curiosity.  The reason I kept Fldigi and N1MM in different directories is if I use Fldigi alone I use Flrig for rig control.   You couldn’t do that in N1MM.  Now when I look at Fldigi, there is no rig control selected.  My curiosity is what would happen if say selected the check box for Flrig?  No great desire, like said, just curious.

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

N9JCA Chris Matthews

I beg to differ

When I was running Windows there was a Program called VSPE

which allowed you to run 2 apps on the same port

Since I became a LINUX user some 10 years ago

Windows went out the window

Chris N9JCA

73

10-10 # 75247

FISTS # 16408

LONP # 165

PODXS # 797

On 4/18/19 10:05 AM, ve3ki wrote:
[...]

Michael Black

If you install WSJT-X you can use FLRig and hook up any program you want.
I currently can run N1MM, Log4OM, WSJT-X, FLDigi, another app I wrote...all talking to FLRig.

There's a new program in hamlib called rigctlcom which will emulate a TS-2000 and you can hook it up to FLRig.
You need a virtual serial port pair so that your program talks to one port and rigctlcom talks to the other.

Most program only need to read/set frequency and mode so a TS-2000 emualation works just fine.

de Mike W9MDB

On Thursday, April 18, 2019, 10:05:51 AM CDT, ve3ki <ve3iay@...> wrote:

[...]

Rich,

I know that fact very well.  Like I mentioned that is was just thinking.  I will also admit, that fact wasn’t on my mind when I wrote that exactly.   I know what I was thinking at the time but hindsight I didn’t think it all of the way through regarding use.  But when using N1MM I like the way you control the radio anyway, it is so handy.  But it is some of the other rig controls you use in contest that would be nice.  But hey, it looks nicer now and have two copies has or isn’t a problem.

Thanks.

73,
Kevin
KX4KU

[...]

Sometimes you can run two programs on a COM port as long as they are doing very simple things.
But do anything complex and conflicts will occur.
FLRig, rigctld (hamlib), and OmniRig allow sharing.  I've found FLRig to be far superior and have all my programs talking to it via one of 3 methods.

Program->FLRig (e.g. FLDigi and WSJT-X and a custom app I am developing right now)
Program->rigctld->FLRig (e.g. Log4OM)
Program->rigctlcom->FLRig (e.g. N1MM)

All programs are running at the same time.

de Mike W9MDB