Topics

RxID Issue

Peter

As a new user of FLDigi, I’m trying to ‘decode’ the different digital signals. I have configured and turned on RxID. I have not seen any notification from RxId.

I have been working around 14.070, sending and receiving PSK31. My RsID is configured with ‘Receive Modes’, only ‘Mark prev freq’ checked. RxID and TxId are on (green).

Can anyone tell from my poor description what I am doing wrong? Please…

Gene Rozea

RXid  decodes and displays the IDs of those stations that have enabled TXid on their end. It’s not an analyzer of the signal, only reports if the transmitting station starts with the transmit ID. I wish more used it, particularly on the digi modes that sound and look so much alike.

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> on behalf of Peter <psblock@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:03:52 PM
To: winfldigi@groups.io
Subject: [winfldigi] RxID Issue

As a new user of FLDigi, I’m trying to ‘decode’ the different digital signals. I have configured and turned on RxID. I have not seen any notification from RxId.

I have been working around 14.070, sending and receiving PSK31. My RsID is configured with ‘Receive Modes’, only ‘Mark prev freq’ checked. RxID and TxId are on (green).

Cliff

You might want to turn on “search passband” also. With it off it only searches 200 hz away from the cursor position.

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Oct 30, 2018, at 16:09, Gene Rozea <gene_rozea@...> wrote:

RXid  decodes and displays the IDs of those stations that have enabled TXid on their end. It’s not an analyzer of the signal, only reports if the transmitting station starts with the transmit ID. I wish more used it, particularly on the digi modes that sound and look so much alike.

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> on behalf of Peter <psblock@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:03:52 PM
To: winfldigi@groups.io
Subject: [winfldigi] RxID Issue

Mike Olbrisch

Just a suggestion – in other “hobbies” I have learned that the way to influence someone to do something a different way is by coaching.  As a former Army small unit sniper, I often have the opportunity to discuss accurate shooting over long distances (> 500 m) with individuals at the range.  They see me shooting at a 1000m target, and hitting it, and they are full of “How can I do that?”  One of the better ways to get a point across is to write a small tutorial on how to do something, and offer to answer questions if any.  Sight picture, natural point of aim, trigger control and breathing are the big 4.  The rest is mental control and muscle memory.  A single sheet of paper can teach them the basics.  And anyone can shoot 500m and do it well, with the right coaching.

My point is this.  If someone asked me right now if my TX-ID and RX-ID are on, or even how to find it, I couldn’t answer.  I’d have to turn to the manual or poke around in the program.  But when someone is experienced enough, writing a simple step-by-step tutorial and offering it to folks asking questions might be helpful, much like the document I wrote on how to set up LoTW for multiple operating locations (I presently have over 100 registered locations in 5 countries and several states in LoTW).

It doesn’t have to be lengthy.  It does need to be accurate, quick and simple.  Much like the “Quick Reference” guides for many radios.

For example:

1 – Click on FILE à Settings  à  TX Settings.

2 – Click TX-ID ON.

3 - Click on FILE à Settings  à  RX Settings.

4 – Click RX-ID ON.

5 – Click Save  à  Exit.

6 – you’re all done.

I know whenever someone writes a message with information like that, I read it and save it.  One of the reflectors I frequent actually has its own “quick start guide” of documents written by the members.  Change starts with a single person who tries something different and makes it work, then shares his success with others.  JMHO, my thoughts on your text below. 

[quote]  only reports if the transmitting station starts with the transmit ID. I wish more used it  [/quote].

Don’t wish – TEACH. Tell em how.  Change starts with the first step.

Vy73 - Mike - KD5KC.

El Paso, Texas - DM61rt.

SOTA W5T-Texas Association Manager.

NA-SOTA info is at:  http://na-sota.org/

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene Rozea
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [winfldigi] RxID Issue

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> on behalf of Peter <psblock@...>
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2018 5:03:52 PM
Subject: [winfldigi] RxID Issue

Dave

I'm sure that you must have opened the menu item "Help / Beginners Guide", an html document: search for RSID reveals

1.4. How do I recognize and tune in the signals?

Recognizing the different modes comes with experience. It is a matter of listening to the signal, and observing the appearance of the signal on the tuning display. You can also practice transmitting with the transceiver disconnected, listening to the sound of the signals coming from the computer. There is also (see later paragraph) an automatic tuning option which can recognize and tune in most modes for you.

The software provides a tuning display which shows the radio signals that are receivable within the transceiver passband. Using a point and click technique with the mouse, you can click on the centre of a signal to select it, and the software will tune it in for you. Some modes require more care than others, and of course you need to have the software set for the correct mode first — not always so easy!

The RSID (automatic mode detection and tuning) feature uses a special sequence of tones transmitted at the beginning of each transmission to identify and tune in the signals received. For this feature to work, not only do you need to enable the feature in the receiver, but in addition the stations you are wishing to tune in need to have this feature enabled on transmission. Other programs also offer this RSID feature as an option.

And you also would have downloaded the 492 page pdf fldigi-help file, http://www.w1hkj.com/files/fldigi/fldigi-help.pdf

where a quick search for RSID would have brought you to

73, David, W1HKJ

Peter

Thanks for all your comments. I have read all the material I could find - including the manual and help. I think I have everything setup correctly. However in the month of use, I have never seen any indication of RSID.

Like many things about ham radio, it is hard to tell if something works unless someone confirms it. So, if I send a CQ with my new antenna and there is no response, does that mean my antenna is bad? If I'm overdriving my signal and no one says anything, how would I know?

Feedback is critical in our environment. This group is a source of feedback. Thanks.

Peter

Cliff

Peter,

Can you post a screen shot of your RSID config page from fldigi?

What frequencies are you monitoring? What kind of signals do you see there? 

Could you post a screen shot of the waterfall when you are monitoring expecting to get a RSID response?

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Oct 31, 2018, at 06:36, Peter <psblock@...> wrote:

Thanks for all your comments. I have read all the material I could find - including the manual and help. I think I have everything setup correctly. However in the month of use, I have never seen any indication of RSID.

Like many things about ham radio, it is hard to tell if something works unless someone confirms it. So, if I send a CQ with my new antenna and there is no response, does that mean my antenna is bad? If I'm overdriving my signal and no one says anything, how would I know?

Feedback is critical in our environment. This group is a source of feedback. Thanks.

Peter

Peter

On Wed, Oct 31, 2018 at 09:39 AM, Cliff wrote:
Cliff
Thanks for you response. Screen captures attached. On reviewing the configuration of RSID, I noted that your previous suggestion does not seem to work properly. When I checkmark the 'searches passband', the RxID green light changes from to a dark red. Unchecking it returns it to green.
I have mostly been on the 20M band. From 14.070 - 14.072. I tried 7.035, but it is always silent. When there is activity on 20M, I can identify the PSK31 and FlDigi correctly decodes the signal. I have not had many returns from my CQs - but that may be my antenna.

Cliff

Peter,

I’m not sure why the two colors as it doesn’t do it here, but I’ve customized the colors so that may be the reason, but if you don’t enable the search the passband you will only hear RxID from those stations within 200hz of your cursor. In my opinion not a very useful configuration.

I’ll try to find out about the colors, but give it a try with that set and see if you see more stations' ID. 

You have checked all the modes you want to receive IDs from in the Receive list, correct?

Cliff, AE5ZA

On Oct 31, 2018, at 15:50, Peter <psblock@...> wrote:

Cliff
Thanks for you response. Screen captures attached. On reviewing the configuration of RSID, I noted that your previous suggestion does not seem to work properly. When I checkmark the 'searches passband', the RxID green light changes from to a dark red. Unchecking it returns it to green.
I have mostly been on the 20M band. From 14.070 - 14.072. I tried 7.035, but it is always silent. When there is activity on 20M, I can identify the PSK31 and FlDigi correctly decodes the signal. I have not had many returns from my CQs - but that may be my antenna. <Waterfall.pdf><RsID.pdf>

DupyRail

Up here in EN53, I don't see much activity with PSK or only occasionally other modes.  Things used to be jumping before FT8 hit the bands.  Would like to try many other modes out, but no-one seems to be around.    FWIW

Andy  K9ATX

On 10/31/2018 3:50 PM, Peter wrote:
Cliff
I have mostly been on the 20M band. From 14.070 - 14.072. I tried 7.035, but it is always silent. When there is activity on 20M, I can identify the PSK31 and FlDigi correctly decodes the signal. I have not had many returns from my CQs - but that may be my antenna.

-- 
"Where the Old Soo crossed the New Soo"
Duplainville, Wisconsin

Web Page:  www.dupyrail.com

Rob J.

Peter,

To add to the info already posted by others.

If you are calling CQ on PSK31 you should go to pskreporter.info website. Look and see which stations are on and which mode and band. You CQ should eventually show up as received by one of them if you are using the macros and actually have CQ and your call in what you transmit. Not as much PSK traffic as in the past but usually I can always rustle up a few contacts. Keep at it.

If you don't see on pskreporter web site and cannot make a contact find a shortwave radio and listen for your transmission. Make sure you use USB for all digital and that radio input is set to your digital/auxiliary input instead of microphone. I check my signal using my Kenwood TH-D74 HT which has HF receive or Sony Yachtboy shortwave radio.

Most folks do NOT transmit RSID for PSK31 since it is so common and well known - and you shouldn't either. It's probably never used for CW as you cannot send RSID via a key and it's distinctive enough as it is. Most of the rest of modes would benefit from RSID TX and RX.

BTW, If you had passband opened up and RSID was working for PSK31 (and folks transmitted RSID) you would never be able to finish a QSO as you would constantly jump to a different signal.

If you are curious as to what the other modes look and sound like, just disconnect your radio and set fldigi sound to use normal computer sound card and transmit your CQ. You will hear over speakers and see on waterfall. Record and screen snap if you like. There is a web site somewhere that had this but it's easy enough to do yourself. For our ARES group we actually practice sending messages this way with MT63 mode and an HT held up to the speaker (acoustic coupling).

73, Rob - KD2GRS

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

I tried this a short time ago. I set the filter on pskreporter to psk31 on 40 meters and found exactly three reporting stations in the U.S. and five or six on 20 meters. So, unfortunately, pskreporter is of little value any more for psk31 users. If you are using FT8, that is another story.

Michael WA7SKG

Rob J. wrote on 11/1/18 06:03:

Peter,
To add to the info already posted by others.
If you are calling CQ on PSK31 you should go to pskreporter.info website. Look and see which stations are on and which mode and band. You CQ should eventually show up as received by one of them if you are using the macros and actually have CQ and your call in what you transmit. Not as much PSK traffic as in the past but usually I can always rustle up a few contacts. Keep at it.

Rob J.

re: pskreporter - Yes it varies. I just checked  at 1311L Eastern / NY time zone / 1712UTC there were 20 stations listening in North America on 20M and I find similar in the evening on 40M. East coast and mid-west seem to have most stations which works fine for me - far from useless. I guess your mileage varies based on location and time. Also, I set filter to "PSK" not one of specific modes to show as many as possible. Usually at least 3 or 4 stations will copy my CQ and report so at least I know my signal getting out.

Also, I went through the steps to configure and activate spotting in both fldigi and HRD programs. I'm not on the air that frequently but I figure I might as well do my part to help out. The more folks that do this the better.

73, Rob - KD2GRS

KD3WB

I see Olivia regularly at night between 7072 and 7074.  As mentioned by others, make sure you have "Searches passband" checked on the RsID page.

Ben

K1HRV

…or RIGHT CLICK the RSID button for quick access

Dave – K1HRV

Sent: Thursday, November 1, 2018 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [winfldigi] RxID Issue

I see Olivia regularly at night between 7072 and 7074.  As mentioned by others, make sure you have "Searches passband" checked on the RsID page.

Ben