Topics

Satellite Weather Pictures

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

I've been having fun lately receiving WEFAX on HF. I'd also like to try my hand at getting weather pictures from the NOAA VHF satellites. They apparently do not use the same WEFAX format (APT?) Will fldigi decode these, or must I use something else?

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Tim

Hello Michael,

In a prevision message I introduced myself. I am new to Fldigi and digital communications. Can you provide information on the process of receiving WEFAX on HF and pictures from NOAA VHF?

Thanks.

Tim
N8NEU

Cliff

The NOAA WEFAX freq and schedules can be found at the links on this site: https://search.usa.gov/search?v%3Aproject=firstgov&query=wefax&affiliate=noaa.gov

I don’t know if the format for VHF is the same so someone else will have to help you with those.

In fldigi just go to the frequency and select the WEFAX mode. It should work though you may need to make some adjustments. Have a look at the fldigi help manual for details of how to make the adjustments.

On Oct 29, 2018, at 11:28, Tim via Groups.Io <N8NEU@...> wrote:

Hello Michael,

In a prevision message I introduced myself. I am new to Fldigi and digital communications. Can you provide information on the process of receiving WEFAX on HF and pictures from NOAA VHF?

Thanks.

Tim
N8NEU

KB3RAN 1692/381

What frequency are you receiving the WEFAX signal on?

David Hardy
KB3RAN
CARA President

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

First, I configure/connect my radio and computer as with any other digital mode. In my case, I am using an IC-7300 and a Windows 10 laptop. A single USB cable connects the two, providing both audio and CAT control.

For WEFAX, I bring up fldigi and select the WEFAX mode, then tune in a WEFAX station on HF. I have found the WORLDWIDE MARINE RADIOFACSIMILE BROADCAST SCHEDULES document by the National Weather Service located at www.nws.noaa.gov/os/marine/rfax.pdf to be the definitive document of choice for schedules and frequencies.

For NOAA VHF (137 MHz) satellites, I'm still looking for appropriate software.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

KB3RAN 1692/381 via Groups.Io wrote on 10/29/18 17:51:

What frequency are you receiving the WEFAX signal on?
David Hardy
davehardy0101@... <mailto:davehardy0101@...>
KB3RAN
CARA President

Eric Furness

On 10/30/2018 21:35, WA7SKG via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg.  It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/
Eric WA3UYI

Rafo Ortiz <kp3lr@...>

Hi
Use the frecuency 8.805 usb

El 29 oct. 2018 8:51 p. m., "KB3RAN 1692/381 via Groups.Io" <davehardy0101@...> escribió:
What frequency are you receiving the WEFAX signal on?

David Hardy
KB3RAN
CARA President

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:

The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg.  It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/ Eric WA3UYI

Cliff

I’m sure you are aware that fldigi runs on Linux, MacOS as well as Windows.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 21:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:
The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg. It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/ Eric WA3UYI

KB3RAN 1692/381

Tried out the WEFAX and got some bulletins and a couple of maps.  They were skewed down the page at a slant.  I saw some instructions on syncing my clock but it didn't make a lot of sense.  Was on 6340 using fldigi latest version.  It was interesting to get a current map.  Could be helpful when I am traveling off the grid.

David Hardy
KB3RAN
CARA President

Eric Furness

On 10/31/2018 22:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io wrote:
I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:
The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg.  It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/
Eric WA3UYI

Yes there is a Linux version also.  I use it all the time.... Not sure where the download is for it but I guess search for it.

Eric WA3UYI

Cliff

Located the same place as the versions for the other operating systems. http://www.w1hkj.com/

On Nov 1, 2018, at 05:26, Eric Furness <ericfurn1@...> wrote:

On 10/31/2018 22:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io wrote:
I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:
The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg.  It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/
Eric WA3UYI

Yes there is a Linux version also.  I use it all the time.... Not sure where the download is for it but I guess search for it.

Eric WA3UYI

Cliff

Adjust the Align control below the image.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 23:29, KB3RAN 1692/381 via Groups.Io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

Tried out the WEFAX and got some bulletins and a couple of maps.  They were skewed down the page at a slant.  I saw some instructions on syncing my clock but it didn't make a lot of sense.  Was on 6340 using fldigi latest version.  It was interesting to get a current map.  Could be helpful when I am traveling off the grid.

David Hardy
KB3RAN
CARA President

Cliff

Opps, meant to say adjust the Slant control. Align moves the image left and right.

On Nov 1, 2018, at 07:04, Cliff <ae5zaham@...> wrote:

Adjust the Align control below the image.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 23:29, KB3RAN 1692/381 via Groups.Io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

Tried out the WEFAX and got some bulletins and a couple of maps.  They were skewed down the page at a slant.  I saw some instructions on syncing my clock but it didn't make a lot of sense.  Was on 6340 using fldigi latest version.  It was interesting to get a current map.  Could be helpful when I am traveling off the grid.

David Hardy
KB3RAN
CARA President

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

Thanks Cliff. Yes, I'm aware that fldigi is multi-platform. But apparently you were not aware that fldigi does not decode APT NOAA satellite transmissions.

73,
Michael WA7SKG

Cliff wrote on 10/31/18 21:00:

I’m sure you are aware that fldigi runs on Linux, MacOS as well as Windows.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 21:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:
The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg. It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/ Eric WA3UYI

WA7SKG <wa7skg@...>

Thanks, Eric. Somehow I missed that wherever I downloaded it for Windows. Found the .deb package at https://wxtoimgrestored.xyz/downloads/

tnx es 73,
Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 11/1/18 03:26:

On 10/31/2018 22:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io wrote:
I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Yes there is a Linux version also.  I use it all the time.... Not sure where the download is for it but I guess search for it.
Eric WA3UYI

Renee Culver

Im so tired of weather satellite pics on a ham list I could cry!!!

Renee KC3NG

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Opps, meant to say adjust the Slant control. Align moves the image left and right.

On Nov 1, 2018, at 07:04, Cliff <ae5zaham@...> wrote:

Adjust the Align control below the image.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 23:29, KB3RAN 1692/381 via Groups.Io <davehardy0101@...> wrote:

Tried out the WEFAX and got some bulletins and a couple of maps.  They were skewed down the page at a slant.  I saw some instructions on syncing my clock but it didn't make a lot of sense.  Was on 6340 using fldigi latest version.  It was interesting to get a current map.  Could be helpful when I am traveling off the grid.

David Hardy

KB3RAN

CARA President

Cliff

Michael,

I missed that it was a satellite image you wanted. Sorry for the confusion.

On Oct 31, 2018, at 21:00, WA7SKG via Groups.Io <wa7skg@...> wrote:

I guess I should have mentioned I was really hoping to find something that ran on Linux.

Michael WA7SKG

Eric Furness wrote on 10/31/18 03:46:
The best vhf wefax program is Wxtoimg.  It is no longer supported but there is a mirror site
https://www.szenebox.org/54-tk-voip-gsm-funk/9016-download-wxtoimg-version-2-10-11-software-decode-apt-wefax-signals-weather-satellites-mirror/ Eric WA3UYI

Mike Olbrisch

That’s the neat function of a delete key, and even setting rules.  When a subject doesn’t interest me, I delete it.  When it goes on for longer than I care to know, I set a rule to auto-delete it.  And when I find a person too obnoxious to want to deal with, I write a rule to just delete anything they send.

WX satellites do not really interest me.  But then, some of the stuff I do might be of little interest to the group too.  So I figure live and let live, and write a rule to delete stuff rather than complain.  Saves bandwidth and keeps the harmony.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt