How do I distinguish what type of digital signal is being heard #arhab

Rick Hanzlik

I'm new to the digital modes and as such am not that familiar with how the various digital modes sound like. In FLDII, If I check the TXid and RXid boxes will the software automatically identify the mode being heard? If not is there someplace where one can hear what the various digital modes sound like?

Thanks
N7NGK

Chris Robinson KF6NFW DMR ID 3153250

I have used this page as well as others to ID the digi mode. However as you noticed if you click the RXID it will decode and indicate what the mode is for you. FLDigi will not do a couple of modes such as WSPR or FT8, but the rest most easily.

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm new to the digital modes and as such am not that familiar with how the various digital modes sound like. In FLDII, If I check the TXid and RXid boxes will the software automatically identify the mode being heard? If not is there someplace where one can hear what the various digital modes sound like?

Thanks
N7NGK

Chris Robinson KF6NFW DMR ID 3153250

probably would help If I gave the link sorry long night in a T-Storm here right now.
 http://wb8nut.com/digital/

73 de KF6NFW

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 9:46 PM Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'm new to the digital modes and as such am not that familiar with how the various digital modes sound like. In FLDII, If I check the TXid and RXid boxes will the software automatically identify the mode being heard? If not is there someplace where one can hear what the various digital modes sound like?

Thanks
N7NGK

Rick Hanzlik

One other question, what do I need to do to get FLDIGI to decode cw? do I need to have my radio in the USB-D mode or the cw mode.

Chris Robinson KF6NFW DMR ID 3153250

First my apologies for the several duplicates. it has to do with how I reply from my email not in the group.

As for the decoding. I found that I had to play around with this part for CW. Without knowing what rig you are using it is difficult, but I use the FT-897D and tend to leave the radio in SSB mode, and then set the FLDigi software to CW for decoding. I dont use FLDigi much for CW though so others may be able to answer better. I have a straight key I prefer. but some days I just want to "read" the mail, and will sit back and let the software do the work as I sit in office working on other tasks.

 I hope that helps some for you. I am sure others can and will answer better then I.
 73 de KF6NFW

On Wed, Sep 19, 2018 at 10:12 PM Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
One other question, what do I need to do to get FLDIGI to decode cw? do I need to have my radio in the USB-D mode or the cw mode.

Cecil at W5DXP.com

Here's some sights and sounds from Dave:

http://w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp-3.21/Modes/index.htm

CW is treated like any other digital mode using USB or USB-D depending on the rig. The CW signal is a single on/off audio tone.

Tony

Rick:

Yes, the software will automatically identify the mode you’re receiving as long as you have your RX-RSID enabled and the other station has TX-RSID enabled.

It’s difficult to tell by sight and sound due to the number of modes and their variants. You may be able to recognize a few of the most common modes, but you’ll spend a lot of time guessing if the station is sending a sub-mode without TX-RSID enabled.

I put together this video to help those who are new to mode identifiers. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

Tony -K2MO

On Sep 19, 2018, at 1:00 PM, Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk@...> wrote:

I'm new to the digital modes and as such am not that familiar with how the various digital modes sound like. In FLDII, If I check the TXid and RXid boxes will the software automatically identify the mode being heard? If not is there someplace where one can hear what the various digital modes sound like?

Thanks
N7NGK

Rick Hanzlik

I use an Icom IC7100. I have tried setting the fldigi to cw but it doesn't seem to decode. I still have enough code in me to figure out the cq de sequence but the software doesn't seem to decode it. Anybody have a suggest software package for decoding code?

Chris Robinson KF6NFW DMR ID 3153250

I think you may be experiencing one of the noted flaws of software CW.
 for the most part, if CW is sent by hand, most software will have issues decoding. if it is sent by computer almost every software will decode flawlessly.
 I have followed along many QSO's in CW and found that the software can not decipher properly some of the more exaggerated sending styles of marks and spaces in words and sentences. as a result the software doesnt see a clean timed signal to work with. If it is sent by computer it has perfect mark and space time and is easily decoded. Lets also not forget about speed. hand sent tends to vary in speed, and most software can detect that and works with it, but it will not see some operators as they fluctuate way to much to have a constant send speed Software does not like to start working with 5 wpm and then a second later see 35wpm and then maybe 18wpm next, which sadly does happen often with hand sent code.

so with that in mind, there is a lot of CW software. I like CWGet.
 HRD software will also do CW, but suffers same fate as FLDigi.  Just keep playing with it, and if possible have a friend work with you so you can set software up easier. when he/she sends CW you then have time to dink around with settings and repeat until you are where desired.
 If I knew where you were, and if possible to establish a contact, I would work with you on this.
 FLDigi is excellent software. Dave has created something wonderful. David is around the threads often as well, so ask him for help if everything else fails, He has stepped up for many hams and helped walk them through. he has also created the help files which can assist in a few things.

73 de KF6NFW

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 12:29 PM Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I use an Icom IC7100. I have tried setting the fldigi to cw but it doesn't seem to decode. I still have enough code in me to figure out the cq de sequence but the software doesn't seem to decode it. Anybody have a suggest software package for decoding code?

Bill Knab <wmknab@...>

Have you tried listening to W1AW? The quality of any code decoding software is highly dependent on the quality of the fist sending it. Consistent spacing and duration of characters makes all the difference. While I dont use this personally I know a lot of hams do. Start with a known good signal.

Hope that gets you started in the right direction.

Bill
K4NAE

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 1:28 PM, Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk@...> wrote:
I use an Icom IC7100. I have tried setting the fldigi to cw but it doesn't seem to decode. I still have enough code in me to figure out the cq de sequence but the software doesn't seem to decode it. Anybody have a suggest software package for decoding code?

Barry Feierman <barryfeierman@...>

N7NGK

Decoding  CW  with  FLDIGI  (or any software)

The radio won't matter ....  any radio with a   BFO  can receive CW in CW mode, in USB mode, or in LSB mode. The result is the same .... keyed audio tones of some audio pitch.  The pitch of the audio tones will not matter either, within limits.  I usually set the audio pitch to around 500 Hz to 1000 Hz on the WF  by just adjusting the radio's  VFO dial.
And you can use a narrow "filter" if you want  (<500 Hz).

I regularly use FLDIGI  with the software's op mode  CW  and the radio in USB mode, and it never fails unless the sender is using a hand key with sloppy timing.  It copies reasonably well from 5 wpm to over 30 wpm.... not always perfect, but pretty nearly perfect.

When I listen to W1AW bulletins, copy is near  100%  on  80m.

Watch out...
Feed enough audio into your sound card.....  but not too much. Keep an eye on the "diamond" in lower right corner near the WF ...  it should be GREEN, or yellow, but not BLACK (not enough audio)  and not RED (too much audio).  Do not turn on digital SQUELCH....  that may be your problem with copying.

Check the CONFIG  settings for  CW  in  FLDIGI.  You might have set them to values which makes copy difficult.
Post your config settings to me and I'll compare to what I use... OK?

Usually folks have more problems SENDING  CW  with FLDIGI.
Sending CW  (MCW)  with FLDIGI   is keying AUDIO tones, so the radio needs to be in upper sideband mode (or Lower sideband) but not in CW mode.  FLDIGI  is just introducing keyed audio into your MIC or DATA port.  With FLDIGI you are keying audio, at some pitch on the WF, so what comes out of the radio is keyed RF at some frequency, and mimics sending CW  by a keying circuit with the rig in CW mode ...... as long as the radio's  TX audio does not overdrive the input to the transmitter.  Check  ALC  and be sure it is at zero.

It's basically the same argument as  AFSK  (keyed audio RTTY) with the rig itself in LSB or USB mode   vs.  FSK   RTTY  which needs the rig to be in RTTY mode.

I wrote a   QST  article about sending CW on the HF bands with  "keyed audio"  with your rig in SSB mode  (not CW mode)   and for some, this was a debate as to whether that is  legal  on HF bands..... it is!   If the transmitter removes the unwanted sideband, and removes the carrier, then what goes to the antenna is pure CW  (keyed RF). The bandwidth should be the same whether you generate the CW signal either way.
See Jan 2008  QST   Pounding Brass a Different Way  (not my choice of title but the QST editors chose that).

Good luck...  if the CONFIG settings in FLDIGI  are decent you should copy ok. Start by listening to evening  W1AW  code practice bulletins.
80m  works well on the east coast.  If you are in  "7 land"  try a higher band to copy  W1AW.

Barry  k3eui
Philadelphia region

On Sep 20, 2018, at 1:28 PM, Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io <n7ngk@...> wrote:

I use an Icom IC7100. I have tried setting the fldigi to cw but it doesn't seem to decode. I still have enough code in me to figure out the cq de sequence but the software doesn't seem to decode it. Anybody have a suggest software package for decoding code?

DupyRail

My only question is that when sending CW, its in the same place on the WF that you are receiving it on?

Andy  K9ATX

--
"Where the Old Soo crossed the New Soo"
Duplainville, Wisconsin

Web Page:  www.dupyrail.com

Dave

Yes.

The audio wave shaping in the fldigi software can actually produce a more narrow banded CW waveform than most transceivers can achieve using it's internal CW keying.

Barry gave you good advice concerning the signal level status indicator (BLACK, GREEN, YELLOW, RED diamond).  If the indicator is always in the BLACK there is not enough signal to decode.  If in the RED it's like drinking from a fire hose.

You can also observe the signal level using the scope signal view (WF/FFT/SCOPE).  The cw signal should fill about 1/2 of the vertical space.

73, David, W1HKJ

On 09/20/2018 02:31 PM, DupyRail wrote:
[...]

Yes.... it has to be.... under normal settings.

You can if you want  "lock"  the Tx frequency to a different spot on he WF by just right clicking a new spot on the WF, and select  the  LK  button on the lower right.  Lk  (locks only the transmit frequency).
You receive wherever you left click on the WF.

K3eui  Barry Feierman

On Sep 20, 2018, at 3:31 PM, DupyRail <andymueller@...> wrote:

[...]

I run the viewing offset/gain controls at 0/60 with my IC7200.  Barry, you are correct in the observation that both controls can effect the SIG view as well as the waterfall, WF, and Fast Fourier Transform, FFT, views.  The offset sets the noise level, and the gain the dynamic range one expects to view.  An S-9 CW signal will fill the SIG view about 50%.  Just captured these on 7028.7 on the miniMac running the latest MacOS and fldigi 4.0.19.21.  Op was using an electronic keyer (typical ..... oops usage) and a HeathKit transmitter.  Very nice keying.   fldigi was copying better than 95%.

73, David, W1HKJ

Jim Irving <zl2bmh@...>

You can't beat experience.  Just keep listening try out the main digital signals like FT8, RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, Amtor etc.  They all work on certain freq.  SSTV 14.230, rTTY 14.080-14.100 ETC.

Your best friend is and always will be the net.  ask to show digital freq, print it out, pin to the wall in front of you.  There's probably other ways but being a old fella that's how I started 30yrs ago.  GL, you will enjoy them all.  Oh, read up on packet, that's an old one but being relaunched by satellite in November.

Regards, Jim  ZL2BMH

On 20/09/2018 5:00 AM, Rick Hanzlik via Groups.Io wrote:
I'm new to the digital modes and as such am not that familiar with how the various digital modes sound like. In FLDII, If I check the TXid and RXid boxes will the software automatically identify the mode being heard? If not is there someplace where one can hear what the various digital modes sound like?

Thanks
N7NGK

PA7R

Hi Richard,

You could look an listen to the digital sound with an SDR or an panadapter, and compare it with the Artemis database:

73`s,

Rene, PA7R
WHAT IS ARTEMIS? ARTEMIS 2 is a useful aid for radio listeners: it allows to compare real-time spectra (from SDR waterfall for example) with those found in archives by comparison of the properties (such as frequency, bandwidth, modulation …) and verifying it through a sample image.
markslab.tk