Spanking New Member #arhab

rameyfms77@...

Thanks for allowing me to come aboard.

Callsign - n7net
Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.

My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7 tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I own a Chrome laptop?

I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please point me to what I should read.

73 de Scott/n7net

Marty Hartwell

Hi again Scott

I just looked at the website for Chromebook laptops. I think you have
done good by asking here because on their site it says it isn't Windows
nor MacOS so that means it also isn't Linux. Because MacOS is a version
of Unix itself.
I am not saying Fldigi suite of programs won't work on the Chromebook
but we should ask the developers before you get something you can't use.

Hoping for the best. By the way welcome to the world of digital and all
that stuff, seems to be more and more of it being developed. I am going
to try some of the FT8 myself after I get things here squared away.

Marty kd8bj

On 08/29/2018 10:28 AM, Scott Laughlin wrote:
Thanks for allowing me to come aboard.
Callsign - n7net
Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.
My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7 tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I own a Chrome laptop?
I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please point me to what I should read.
73 de Scott/n7net

Michael A. Thissell

Scott – Go with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a small 7-inch screen and the SignaLink.  Very compact, but competent.

Mike  w7xw

Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.

My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7 tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I own a Chrome laptop?

I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please point me to what I should read.

73 de Scott/n7net

Bill Knab <wmknab@...>

I am interested in playing around with this but I don't know where to start. Can you point me in a good direction for some basic information. I have a raspberry pi that I have never used.

Thanks
Bill
K4NAE

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 9:30 PM Michael A. Thissell via Groups.Io <w7xw=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Scott – Go with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ with a small 7-inch screen and the SignaLink.  Very compact, but competent.

Mike  w7xw

Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.

My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7 tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I own a Chrome laptop?

I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please point me to what I should read.

73 de Scott/n7net

Dave

join the groups.io group "linuxham".  You will find many fldigi users there who use a Pi3.

73, David

On 08/30/2018 07:20 AM, Bill Knab wrote:
[...]

Scott Laughlin <rameyfms77@...>

Marty,

Many thanks for the warm reception to winfldigi. Mike, w7xw, suggested a Raspberry Pi and the Signalink. That appeals to me. I have a very slight experience with the Pi, but it seems like an avenue I can afford.

I only mentioned Chrome because I thought it was a Linux machine. I'm glad that's straightened out before the plunge.

I've been primarily CW except for a few years in Oregon Army MARS which was sideband during Desert Storm. When 911 occurred I was operating a solar station in Arizona on the Mexico border, 9 watts ssb and participated in SATERN. I think pure DC does wonders for QRP, especially away from the wall warts.

I'm growing older. My YL, kc7bsy, and I moved into a very small apartment where the management frowns on "ugly" antennas. So I've tried the indoor QRP Loop antenna, a ham stick at 45 degrees from vertical along the north wall, and a 20m up dipole around the ceiling secured with push pins. None of these applications proved very satisfactory, so I've decided it's time to move to modes that hear what I can't.

I'm open for opinions and suggestions. With what I know at this point the Raspberry Pi is the most sttractive. I'll watch the YouTube  tutorials  today and await my payday.

Many thanks to kd8dj, k4nae, and w7xw.

73 de Scott/n7net

PS:

I lived in Puerto Rico three years while serving in the Strategic Air Command. I have friends there who rode out Hurricane Maria. I submitted an article to the K9YA Telegraph, telling a school teacher's experience. It was published in the September issue. Anyone who is interested in reading it may email the editor, Philip, k9pl@....

On Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 8:16 PM Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@...> wrote:
Hi again Scott

I just looked at the website for Chromebook laptops. I think you have
done good by asking here because on their site it says it isn't Windows
nor MacOS so that means it also isn't Linux. Because MacOS is a version
of Unix itself.
I am not saying Fldigi suite of programs won't work on the Chromebook
but we should ask the developers before you get something you can't use.

Hoping for the best. By the way welcome to the world of digital and all
that stuff, seems to be more and more of it being developed. I am going
to try some of the FT8 myself after I get things here squared away.

Marty kd8bj

On 08/29/2018 10:28 AM, Scott Laughlin wrote:
> Thanks for allowing me to come aboard.
>
> Callsign - n7net
> Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.
>
> My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7
> tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I
> own a Chrome laptop?
>
> I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please
> point me to what I should read.
>
> 73 de Scott/n7net

Chuck Moore

Chrome book uses Google’s internal version of Linux. I suspect Linux will run on the box but I have never delved into one to see how much trouble it would be to install another flavor of Linux not how hard they protect Root. Supposedly open source Chromium OS is the equivalent of what is run on the Chrome book. For whatever reason Google does not make Chrome book’s OS public. If anyone has one they may want to investigate ‘Project Crostini’ that appeared on GIT last January.

Chuck   WD4HXG

Have Steering Wheel, Will Travel.

On Aug 30, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Scott Laughlin <rameyfms77@...> wrote:

> [...]

of Unix itself.
I am not saying Fldigi suite of programs won't work on the Chromebook
but we should ask the developers before you get something you can't use.

Hoping for the best. By the way welcome to the world of digital and all
that stuff, seems to be more and more of it being developed. I am going
to try some of the FT8 myself after I get things here squared away.

Marty kd8bj

On 08/29/2018 10:28 AM, Scott Laughlin wrote:
> Thanks for allowing me to come aboard.
>
> Callsign - n7net
> Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.
>
> My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7
> tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or should I
> own a Chrome laptop?
>
> I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please

wj3r@...

If you are a Linux person, I must agree the Raspberry Pi and Signalink would be a perfect choice.  However!  If you are not a Linux person (like moi) then
there is more to the issue than just loading software, hooking up cables, and turning on the radio.  I have actually tried on more than one occasion to become
much more comfortable with Linux... I have failed every time.  But I digress.

If you are MORE LIKE ME (and notice the name of this group is WINfldigi, there is an alternative that isn't far from the Pi.  Not too many people seem
to be familiar with the Intel Computestick family, but I am here to say they ROCK.  I tried for months to get my weather station running on a Pi3 before
I gave up.  Little things like sharing over the network with 4 or 5 other machines that were Windows machines were just TOO hard.  I went through the
same process when I decided I wanted a dedicated machine for my Home Automation setup... That brought my SECOND Computestick into the house.  Both machines run 24/7 and on Windows 10.

Yes the price of a Computestick is about triple that of a full-up Pi3.  But look at what you get.  A Computestick and a Signalink would be perfect!

Try it you'll Like it!

JR WJ3R - sorry if a bit off topic.

Marty Hartwell

Hi Scott

Glad to be of help. I have an older Pi, the 2B+ loaded with the latest
Stretch version of Raspian. It worked just fine. The help file on Dave's web called WiKi on building on a Ubuntu and Mint and Pi worked out well.
I now have it and all of the home ham gear packed away, the only equipment available is my 2 meter mobile, and belong to the local ARES group so am somewhat active. I use a lot of the Fldigi suite of programs. I have talked about using some older laptops loaded with Xubuntu currently at 16.04 for most of them, my wife is also on Linux. She has a built in support person to help. When I am active at a park or such I use an FT817 and a short mast and either dipole of an elevated vertical.

I also get the K9YA news letter so will be on the look out for your
article.

Good luck.

Marty kd8bj

On 08/30/2018 09:24 AM, Scott Laughlin wrote:
[...]
I lived in Puerto Rico three years while serving in the Strategic Air Command. I have friends there who rode out Hurricane Maria. I submitted an article to the K9YA Telegraph, telling a school teacher's experience. It was published in the September issue. Anyone who is interested in reading it may email the editor, Philip, k9pl@... <mailto:k9pl@...>.
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018, 8:16 PM Marty Hartwell <mhartwe@... <mailto:mhartwe@...>> wrote:
Hi again Scott
I just looked at the website for Chromebook laptops. I think you have
done good by asking here because on their site it says it isn't Windows
nor MacOS so that means it also isn't Linux. Because MacOS is a version
of Unix itself.
I am not saying Fldigi suite of programs won't work on the Chromebook
but we should ask the developers before you get something you can't use.
Hoping for the best. By the way welcome to the world of digital and all
that stuff, seems to be more and more of it being developed. I am going
to try some of the FT8 myself after I get things here squared away.
Marty kd8bj
On 08/29/2018 10:28 AM, Scott Laughlin wrote:
> Thanks for allowing me to come aboard.
>
> Callsign - n7net
> Name - Scott and I'm at absolute square ONE with Linux.
>
> My goal is to operate QRP, digital radio, PSK-31. I own a Nexus 7
> tablet. Is is possible to use it for Linux/digital radio, or
should I
> own a Chrome laptop?
>
> I've been hammering CW for awhile and I'm going to need help. Please
> point me to what I should read.
>
> 73 de Scott/n7net

Renee Culver

Why do you think reading will help?