Topics

at wits end with Flrig

Chuck K4RGN

I had been using Flrig successfully for months in conjunction with Fldigi to drive my Ten-Tec Pegasus 550. Along comes Windows 10 Update and breaks something, but I can't figure out what. The interesting thing is, WSJT-X and N4PY are still working fine after the update -- same COM port, same USB-to-serial cable, same rig. The symptom under Flrig is that the Peg cycles rapidly between receive and transmit, about 2 flips per second, as though Flrig and the Peg cannot complete a fundamental handshake. I have verified that the FTDI-provided driver for the COM port is still in use. If it weren't, or if the new privacy settings were screwed up, WSJT-X shouldn't work but it does. Flrig version is 1.3.39. I have tried uninstalling it (along with deleting the flrig.files directory), then reinstalling. No difference.

Pointers appreciated!
73, Chuck, K4RGN

Bob B

I may have some ideas for you. I may have just gone through something similar.

I'm on my way to a drill and don't have time to explain much, but look for

Windows Update 1803 privacy settings, there's some notes on this group. Essential go into audio settings and "allow" programs to use audio. The new update locked this down for some folks.

My thing, that was weird, was the update also "checked" the enhancements checkbox on my mic driver, not speaker driver. Go in and uncheck it.

Note its on the recording part of the drive and on the advanced tab.

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018 at 2:03 PM, Chuck K4RGN <K4rgn@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave

Chuck,

Please contact me off list at the bellsouth email address.

David, W1HKJ

On 06/17/2018 04:03 PM, Chuck K4RGN wrote:
[...]

Renee Culver

Fldigi is really neither complete or professional until it has a GOOD set of diagnostics.

I have an fldigi problem and Icom wanted to play scifi with it. No one here will touch it. I’m poor and up the creek,

Renee KC3NG

[...]

Mike Olbrisch

FL-Digi is AMAZING for the price.  If you want “complete and professional” as you call it, perhaps buying into one of the more costly programs will get you want you want.  It seems to work for many people, and for the price it is one of the best values in ham radio.

Vy73 – Mike – KD5KC

El Paso, Texas – DM61rt

[...]

Fldigi has worked fine  on this IC-7300 for months. Yes, it is amazing for the price until there’s a problem and the rig is not usable any more which runs the price to that of a new rug,

If you think that’s great then fix my rig. What???? You cant?  Shazam….

Renee KC3NG

[...]

P Black

I try not to make comments on opinion posts.  But in this case, I must say that I am very impressed with Fldigi.  Besides being free, it provides all the features and capabilities that I need to use digital radio at this point in my exploration of amateur radio.  I thank the development team for their work and appreciate their continued efforts in improvement and features enhancements.

Pat, KD2MYD

[...]

I too am impressed, but like me wait till a problem develops and join me, up the creek.

Renee KC3NG

[...]

J Hammond

Renee,

I'm not a developer or associated with anyone on the development team.  However, I take offense when people trash developers of open source software.  You did not purchase this software, so nowhere do you have the right to trash the work that has been done, period.  It was the "neither professional" statement that has gotten me on my soapbox.  Everyone knows software is never complete.  How about you become a developer and help make a "GOOD set of diagnostics" for it.

J - N4BRD

Renee Culver

Before I retired I was a Principal Software Engineer at Digital Equipment Corporation, the second largest Computer corporation in the world. I did not trash the product.

Cliff, you did spend hours and I thank you. That I didn’t respond to your last note means that I did not detect it.

There is a larger problem than we have addressed. It is manifested in my rig. The problem is that I have a systems problem that no one, including the manufacturer of the rig has been able to address. That is the PROBLEM.

I cannot use Fldigi on my computer and IC-7300 and no one can fix it. That’s not a problem?

You won’t identify the people that advised you not to help me. What credentials did they have and why were they secretive? Why could they not say what they said to you in public? This group has more than I knew about which saddens me.

Renee KC3NG