Topics

XML File

David Stewart

Group

My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?

I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.

I have some luck using above combination. The computer does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine, at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.

also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it interfere with Fldigi or Flrig.

Dave
AAoae

Cliff

Flrig does NOT use a XML file. That is ONLY for RigCat and in that case you put the file downloaded from the fldigi website in the Rigs Directory in the fldigi parent directory.

Flrig has all the rig info built in so just select the rig in the flrig config window and then set the parameters as needed. Read the flrig manual!!!

On Apr 9, 2018, at 09:19, David Stewart <aa0ae1@...> wrote:

Group

My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?

I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.

I have some luck using above combination. The computer does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine, at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.

also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it interfere with Fldigi or Flrig.

Dave
AAoae

David Stewart

I Think my problem is i am getting programs confused. my main concern is the part in previous post. How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?

Dave
AA0AE

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 11:04 AM, Cliff <ae5zaham@...> wrote:
[...]

Bruce N7XGR

Dave,  This is how to put a XML file into FLdigi.  If you have downloaded the XML
file from Sourceforge then do the following.  From where that XML file is downloaded to
you copy and paste from there and paste it here, C:\Users\YourName\fldigi.files\rigs
In FLdigi select Configure>Rig Control>RigCAT Tab.  Click on Open next to the
Rig description file, navigate to the rigs folder where you pasted the XML file
then select it there.

Bruce  N7XGR

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:36 PM, David Stewart <aa0ae1@...> wrote:
[...]

Rob J.

I think the question is "If you download rig files for fldigi, where do you put them?"

They go in the fldigi folder structure, in Windows navigate to c:\Users folder. Find the folder with your user name. Inside that folder, there is a folder fldigi.files and it has a folder for rigs.

It sounds more complicated than it is. For my system (my user name is Rob), the folder is here C:\Users\Rob\fldigi.files\rigs.

I have my rig file IC-7100.xml in that folder and fldigi can find it.

Why Microsoft, in particular with Windows 10, makes the c: drive and users folders (besides documents, music, photos, videos) so hard to locate is a whole different thread...

73, Rob - KD2GRS

David Stewart

Bruce
 Thank you so much!
That is easier to understand than:-- Put the XML file in the fldigi folder!!!
Dave
AA0AE

On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:05 PM, Bruce N7XGR <n7xgr1@...> wrote:
[...]

Marty Hartwell

Hi Dave

I haven't used RigCat in a long time but when I did get the rig
file I opened it in the browser, and then saved the contents in
the rig folder in Fldigi. I don't know if it works that way now
or not.

Marty kd8bj

<mailto:aa0ae1@...>> wrote:

Group

My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is
it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the
Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?

I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one
would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am
lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.

I have some luck using above combination. The computer
does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use
improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine,
at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.

also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it
interfere with Fldigi or Flrig.

Dave
AAoae

Gene Rozea

Rigcat, yes. Still works that. Flrig, no.

> [...]

>             Cliff, AE5ZA
>
>>             On Apr 9, 2018, at 09:19, David Stewart <aa0ae1@...
>>             <mailto:aa0ae1@...>> wrote:
>>
>>             Group
>>
>>             My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is
>>             it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the
>>             Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?
>>
>>             I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one
>>             would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am
>>             lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
>>             Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
>>             rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.
>>
>>             I have some luck using above combination. The computer
>>             does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use
>>             improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine,
>>             at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.
>>
>>             also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it

Cliff

Marty,

No need to open it. Just download the file and move it into the Rigs directory. I don’t know what you do to “open it in the browser”, but it isn’t needed. Download it the same way you do the fldigi file.

On Apr 9, 2018, at 16:04, Gene Rozea <gene_rozea@...> wrote:

> [...]

>             Cliff, AE5ZA
>
>>             On Apr 9, 2018, at 09:19, David Stewart <aa0ae1@...
>>             <mailto:aa0ae1@...>> wrote:
>>
>>             Group
>>
>>             My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is
>>             it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the
>>             Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?
>>
>>             I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one
>>             would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am
>>             lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
>>             Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
>>             rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.
>>
>>             I have some luck using above combination. The computer
>>             does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use
>>             improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine,
>>             at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.
>>
>>             also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it

Marty Hartwell

Hi Cliff

As I tried to say I haven't used RigCat in a longggg time. But
when I did use it and needed an xml file the way to get it
downloaded was to go to Daves' site and click the file which
brought up the browser and read the file. To save it I went to
the file column and saved the file as a file in the rigs folder.

Now this was over 9 years ago, before moving to TN.

Now on Source Forge I guess a click on the file and it asks where
you want to save the file, and I am not sure on Dave's site now.

Good Hamming

Marty kd8bj

             On Apr 9, 2018, at 09:19, David Stewart <aa0ae1@... <mailto:aa0ae1@...>
             <mailto:aa0ae1@...>> wrote:

             Group

             My Question is: How would i put a xml file in Fldigi? is
             it as simple as copy paste to notepad, then place in the
             Fldigi main file and then let Flrig find the file?

             I have tried that and Flrig doesn't work. is some one
             would give me a do this list i would appreciate it. I am
             lost when customizing software to a use with a rig.
             Computer is dell w/ windows 7 pro.
             rig is 857d connected with a rig blaster pro.

             I have some luck using above combination. The computer
             does receive and transmit signals. Decoding could use
             improvement in most modes the transmit seems to work fine,
             at least the other end of the qso responds accordingly.

             also if i use N7YG's Yaesu FT-857 CAT Controller will it
             interfere with Fldigi or Flrig.

             Dave
             AAoae

Rob J.

KD8BJ

Yes it's more complicated than it needs to be, ironically mostly due to efforts to simplify and hide details from from the user.

Just clicking on the XML file link will have different results - depends on where you are downloading from and which browser you have. For instance, when clicking a link to an XML file on my system, Internet Explorer will display it in the browser window. But Firefox will download it silently to the \Downloads folder (it looks like nothing happened unless you know where to look). You can usually change this behavior by right-clicking and choosing "Save link as..." and forcing it to do what you want, but on Sourceforge the links don't let you download directly. Instead they fire up some Javascript to redirect to a download page that fires off some more Javascript while you watch their ads. After a brief delay the download starts. This adds more confusion to what should and used to be a simple thing.

Then, once you locate your files you have to use Windows Explorer to locate a folder the Microsoft deliberately makes hard to find and move the file. The final speed bump in this is that default settings on Win7 - Win10 is to hide file known file extensions - so you can't tell if you have a .txt or .xml or .doc file any more.

73, Rob KD2GRS

Cliff

All these are settings in the browser or the OS. It’s up to the user to set them how they want them.

On Apr 10, 2018, at 09:19, Rob J. <kd2grs@...> wrote:

[...]

Ghassan Chammas <od5ya@...>

Dear Rob

Dear All

I am trying to do the following triangulation:

Radio: Ic 7300

Rig control: DXlab Suite, complete, installed all components and working perfectly

Digital client: FLDigi

I also downloaded the XML file of the icom 7300, and made flrid recognize it and load it .

I am unable to key the radio when i am operating fldigi. I am able to decode CW perfectly but cannot transmit from FLdigi. I am now decoding with FLDigi and transmitting from WinWarbler, the digital application of Dx Lab.!!

How can I make this triangulation work properly? is there any document that can lead me to a step by step setup of this installation and setup?

i am aware of a possible port collision between the software components installed installed.

Ideally, I want DXLab to be the central "chef d'orchestre" that will control the radio and the digital components and applications.

Regards

Dr.Ghassan Chammas
OD5YA - Beirut - Lebanon

____________________________________

On 10/4/18 5:19 PM, Rob J. wrote:
[...]

Dave AA6YQ

AA6YQ comments below
[...]

Most uses of FLDigi with DXLab use Rick N2AMG's gateway, which is available here:
<http://www.n2amg.com/software/fldigi-dxlabs-gateway/>

When you're running FLDigi, you shouldn't be running WinWarbler.
73,

Dave, AA6YQ

Ghassan Chammas <od5ya@...>

Thank you Dave!!