Re: A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue #Mode Recognition #mode

Gene Rozea

For receive ID to work, it requires that the transmitting station enable (and send) the mode ID prior to sending the message.

From: winfldigi@groups.io <winfldigi@groups.io> on behalf of Tony <DXDX@...>
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2019 6:29:04 PM
To: main@digitalradio.groups.io; multipsk@groups.io; winfldigi@groups.io
Subject: [winfldigi] A Solution To The Digital Mode Recognition Issue #Mode Recognition

All:

Most are aware that mode identification became a necessity more than a
decade ago as the number of sound card modes grew. The problem was
solved early on thanks to the Reed Solomon Identifier developed by
F6CTE. Yet here we are years later with more modes than ever before and
we're still not using RS-ID when we should be.

It's puzzling because there are only a handful of modes that are
discernible by sight and sound so we're left with dozens of variants and
sub-modes that require RS-ID in order to be identified quickly and
efficiently.

Prompt identification by observation is impossible because many variants
share the same modem with their primary counterparts so their appearance
is identical. We also have protocols that share the same modulation type
which have visual and audible similarities that make it difficult to
distinguish one from the other.

The solution would be to automate the process by having the TX-RSID
engage by default whenever a difficult-to-decipher mode is selected. An
easier approach for developers to implement might be to add a pop-up
that reminds the user to engage the TX/RX ID when selecting certain modes.

It's not only bad practice not use mode ID when attempting to
communicate with a protocol that's not easily recognized, it's a waste
of time. It also sends the wrong message to new comers and it's
certainly not the way to promote amateur radio to the public in a field
day setting or at other public events.

This video explains the need for mode identifiers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwkz0GNpA0I

Tony -K2MO