Topics

Event: Sun 16 Aug noon UTC Doris and Minnie at the 21st Weekly Webheads Revival Open Mic FUNinar - Sunday, 16 August 2020 #cal-invite

webheadsinaction@groups.io Calendar <webheadsinaction@...>

Sun 16 Aug noon UTC Doris and Minnie at the 21st Weekly Webheads Revival Open Mic FUNinar

When:
Sunday, 16 August 2020
12:00pm to 1:00pm
(UTC+00:00) UTC

Where:
Online in Zoom

Organizer: Vance Stevens vancestev@...

Sun 16 Aug noon UTC Doris and Minnie at the 21st Weekly Webheads Revival Open Mic FUNinar

Webheads in action is back again this Sunday for Learning2gether episode 484, following up on our last week's open mic

https://learning2gether.net/2020/08/09/20th-weekly-webheads-revival-sandbox-minnie-demonstrates-dingtalk-for-language-learning/

with a special treat.

Last Sunday, Doris Molero invited Minnie from China to join her project where she teaches English by having her students develop narratives that revolve around historical scenes set in virtual worlds. She invited Minnie to participate in the part described here.

As Doris says, this Sunday, I can show you what the project is about and maybe Minnie can give us some tips on how to make it more accurate. We already have in place a representation of what there is in the series in a creative way, but it's not a historical site like the ones you find in a museum. We can talk about the terracotta army and the tomb.. This is episode 3 and 4 in the project. I have already set the site and the tools and the quest and gaming elements.

Doris has encouraged Minnie to contribute a musical background to the project. Last week, Minnie showed us two instruments that she plays. She said that she is "going to share at least one music on each instrument on the coming Sunday."

Minnie explains about her instruments: In Chinese, we say Guzheng for the one with 21 strings. It used to have 38, 16, 8, and 25 strings in history, now mostly 21. It was first used as an instrument in 2500 years ago.  And Guqin, the one with 7 strings, first appeared more than 3000 years ago. The culture behind the instruments is splendid, amazing. My English language is limited, but that would be in a long email in future.

Where: in Zoom

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906

Password to be announced on the day

This event will be posted to these Facebook Groups

And posted as a calendar event at this Groups.io,: https://groups.io/g/webheadsinaction/

And streamed from Zoom on

https://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/

Time: Noon UTC, and here's the time for you wherever you are on the planet

FYI,

Teaching and Learning in IsolatioN, a.k.a. TALIN1 has been retired,

but TALIN2 (TALIN squared, or Teaching and Learning in the New Normal)

continues as a subset of Learning2gether.net, and as a Facebook group at https://www.facebook.com/groups/talin2020.

Vance Stevens

Hi again,

I never mean to withhold the passcode for the zoom room from people in this group, but when I copy/paste the announcement from my social spaces I sometimes forget to include it.

Here is the Zoom invitation

Topic: 21st Webheads Weekly Sunday Sandbox Open Mic FUN-inar
Time: Aug 2, 2020 12:00 PM Kuala Lumpur

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

This is the first TALIN squared, or TALIN2 event, standing for Teaching and Learning in the New Normal
and that is why the password is talin2 (lower case)

The shift to TALINshould not look any differently to participants, but it's just a recognition that we are no longer in the Isolation phase.

For me it means I will not be recruiting speakers for TALIN particularly in the future, nor keeping track of TALIN webinars.

But Learning2gether will continue as always, and the TALIN1 webinars are archived both at Learning2gether.net and on the TALIN website
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCMVUGgGXIPOVHru54Jd-KcvCL-R1U_9DieCZ1U2RXg/edit#heading=h.hnzaigglk2fw

If you participated in that effort, thank you very much for your contribution and for your service to our profession.

Hope to see you often in the New Normal, as we learn2gether what that looks like

Vance

Vance Stevens

Sorry to bother y'all, but that invitation needed just a date correction

Topic: 21st Webheads Weekly Sunday Sandbox Open Mic FUN-inar
Time: Aug 16, 2020 12:00 PM Kuala Lumpur

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

Good thing we're among friends,

Hope to see you there, should be F.U.N.

Vance

Vance Stevens

Still not right, sorry, time zone was wrong

Topic: 21st Webheads Weekly Sunday Sandbox Open Mic FUN-inar
Time: Aug 16, 2020 12:00 PM Greenwich Mean Time

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

hope it's correct now

If you ever need to find the password, it will be posted on the day at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/

Vance

c chee

Minni is a sincere and helpful person in regards to Chinese history in music.

I also invited some friends who are teachers in China to come join us as well. Obviously if that's okay with the group.

awaiting the room number and password so I can pass it on to the other associates.

On Fri, Aug 14, 2020 at 1:43 AM, Vance Stevens
<vancestev@...> wrote:
Still not right, sorry, time zone was wrong

Topic: 21st Webheads Weekly Sunday Sandbox Open Mic FUN-inar
Time: Aug 16, 2020 12:00 PM Greenwich Mean Time

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

hope it's correct now

If you ever need to find the password, it will be posted on the day at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/

Vance

Vance Stevens

Hi Chee,

Everyone is welcome. The room number and password are in the thread to the reply you sent me.

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

We will also stream on Zoom if anyone wants to simply observe, at

and we will record everything so no one needs to really miss it.

Keep in mind please that the purpose of our meeting this week is to allow Doris to explain her virtual worlds narratives project, especially episodes 3 and 4 about the terracotta warriors in Xian. Doris was interested in Minnie's music as it might help provide depth of context to her project, and of course we are all looking forward to hearing Minnie play.

There is more information, including the correct world time of the event (8 pm in Malaysia and China), here:

All are always welcome at our Learning2gether events,

<vancestev@...> wrote:
Still not right, sorry, time zone was wrong

Topic: 21st Webheads Weekly Sunday Sandbox Open Mic FUN-inar
Time: Aug 16, 2020 12:00 PM Greenwich Mean Time

Join Zoom Meeting

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906
Passcode: talin2

hope it's correct now

If you ever need to find the password, it will be posted on the day at http://learning2gether.pbworks.com/

Vance

Vance Stevens

Hi everyone,

We had a respectable turnout for our weekly edutainment yesterday Sunday August 16. If you missed it, or just want a replay, its archive is posted here
https://learning2gether.net/2020/08/16/doris-molero-and-minnie-wang-edutain-us-at-the-21st-weekly-webheads-sandbox-open-mic-funinar/

Here you can find Zoom recordings in YouTube video and downloadable audio, and a Facebook stream recording, take your pick. There are extensive show notes on the instruments that Minnie was playing, screenshots from Second Life as seen in Zoom screenshare, and links in the chat logs to where Doris was in Second Life and where participants there can find out about the terracotta army, and how they get into the unopened tomb with the poisonous mercury river and escape the room before being overcome by its fumes.

And you can see how all this fits in with Doris's freelance style of teaching her students around the world, ages eight to eighty, and you can hear Minnie play the Gugin live on Zoom, and in links to recordings she provided for the show notes.

No plans so far for next week's edutainment, but it will be same time same channel, open mic, and it's sure to be F.U.N. which means full of Frivolous Unanticipated Nonsense, so you'll just have to come along to find out what happens, or help make it happen if you're there.

Teacher Vance