Sun 9 Aug noon UTC 20th Weekly Webheads Revival Sandbox and possibly final TALIN1 FUNinar #learning2gether #webheadsinaction #talin2020

Vance Stevens

Edited

Sun 9 Aug noon UTC 20th Weekly Webheads Revival Sandbox and final TALINFUNinar

Webheads in action are at it again, in the usual open mic-inar format. This will be

Learning2gether Episode 483 and the 37th and perhaps the last (as such) TALINwebinar

When I get a crack at the mic, I will announce the transition from TALIN1 - Teaching and Learning in IsolatioN

to TALIN2 -  or TALIN Squared - Teaching and Learning in the New Normal

as explained at https://tinyurl.com/talin2020

I've been thinking hard about this and consequently writing about it.
To save you having to read a lot of writing if you are short on time, here's what you need to know if you wish to join us.

Where:  Join Zoom Meeting

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/82485486906

Meeting ID: 824 8548 6906

Passcode: talin1

Time: Noon UTC, click a link to find the time for you wherever you are on the planet

This event will be streamed from Zoom onto

https://www.facebook.com/groups/webheadsinaction/

And now for what I've been writing (reading optional, I'll tell you about this if you join us on Sunday).

Many of us realize that we are all passing through a world where the old normal was the problem. Many are hoping to return somehow to that old world, and hopefully some of the things we truly miss and wish to preserve will be recoverable. But if we see that in many glaring respects, the old way of doing things was unsustainable, so how do we escape the all too obvious untenabilities of the old order and carry ourselves into a more enlightened future? And as regards education, and so much else, what does that future look like when we do emerge from this pandemic and are in a position to recover from the overriding disease of which the pandemic was but a symptom, in our past?

In other words, what does TALIN2, Teaching and Learning in the New Normal, look like?

TALIN as an idea and concept continues as long as educators are operating under circumstances that force them to grapple with meeting their students online and engaging them in quality education. But now that this is becoming the new normal, speakers are less attracted to presenting in a forum dedicated to the purpose for which this movement was started. It has come time for TALIN to merge into mainstream Learning2gether, which has been going on since 2010 b.c. (before covid).

By now we are beyond the emergency online teaching stage for which TALIN1 was created, but in many cases entering or about to enter TALIN2, having to decide how to cope with returning to school, or continuing to teach online, or both.

We can continue to hear each other’s TALIN2 stories at http://learning2gether.net

TALIN as a forum continues in the Facebook group community. The webinars continue athttp://learning2gether.pbworks.com

Still reading? Here is even more rationale for this:

At my blog post here, from April 12, 2020: https://advanceducation.blogspot.com/2020/04/teacher-training-in-time-of-covid-19.html I noted that Webheads in Action had been experiencing a revival that "accelerated in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. This prompted me to take yet another initiative which I called TALIN, Teaching and Learning in IsolatioN. The idea for TALIN was prompted by suggestions in “numerous cross-fertilizing communities of practice that there was needed a space where members of these CoPs could meet online and talk informally to one another about how they are dealing with changes in their personal and professional contexts and what they are doing to help others in this trying time of pandemic.”

I go on to report that TALIN "has held or is planning a webinar every two days through the first three weeks in April. I expect this to be sustained for as long as schools are closed for the pandemic, but the group is under my https://Learning2gether.net umbrella, and its activities should extend the number of podcasts produced under that project since 2010 to well over 450."

Meanwhile, TALIN gained greater traction than expected, and by now we have had 36 open mic-inars and more formal webinars conducted under the TALIN umbrella, and increased the number of Learning2gether episodes from not quite 450 up to 482. Looking back on this, I note that this set of webinars was prompted by a desire expressed by Webheads co-founder Michael Coghlan to revive the Webheads weekly meetings. Soon afterwards Jane Chien and I organized our Best of EVO presentations in 3 sessions online in response to the cancelation of the on-site event scheduled at the Denver TESOL convention.

Over the next four months, we heard from Barbara Dieu and Susana Canelo from quarantine in Brazil and Argentina, and we learned about SOFLA (Synchronous Online Flipped Learning Approach) from Laine Marshall, Simplifica from Carla Arena, and what to expect from Jing's replacement tool from Rita Zeinstejer. We had a tour of Minecraft conducted by the EVO Minecraft MOOC and VSTE communities at the 2020 Virtual Round Table conference, an introduction from Karen Schwarze on using Natural Language Processing in English Classes, and a webinar from Nick Peachey about useful tools while teaching in lockdown. An incident at Nick's webinar caused Heike Philp and I to then carry out a systematic study on how to prevent Zoom bombers and present our findings at a subsequent TALIN webinar.

Dilip Barad in Maharashtra talked to us about how he conducted remote hands-on workshops for huge classes in India, and then he invited Heike Philp, Ania Lian, and I to participate in one a few weeks later. Meanwhile Heike had taken us on a Virtual Campus tour in OpenSim and Susan Marandi had introduced us to her students taking her CALL professional development courses in Iran.

When Graham Stanley started appearing regularly at our events in his virtual Facerig and real-world facemask guises, he had us play-testing brainstorming tool Miro and interactive storytelling games. When Laine Marshall and Ilka Kostka produced an article for TESL-EJ on SOFLA for a column I was editing, I trialed the idea in a virtual workshop I was giving for doctoral students in Morocco.

When Gavin Dudeney thoughtfully broached the question recently, Why the Obsession With Tools? some of us realized we indeed had such an addiction which we have recently started to question, even as we succumb to and develop it, though now we try to reflectively justify what we are doing as best we can, keeping in mind best practices.

We've had many engaged and engaging participants as well in our open mic sessions, and I'm sure I've left out a presenter or two; this is off the top of my head while going throught our archive of TALIN1 webinars here,

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SCMVUGgGXIPOVHru54Jd-KcvCL-R1U_9DieCZ1U2RXg/edit#heading=h.yqegqcfk99e0

It shows us that this effort has been thoroughly worthwhile, and by moving into TALIN2, a second phase where we go beyond Emergency Remote Teaching (ERT) and enter the era of school reopenings, I have no intention of shutting off the flow. I only mean to channel it from Teaching and Learning in IsolatioN, which was where we began and where we met teachers trying to grasp, and help each other with, Emergency Remote Teaching, into a New Normal which is hard to imagine at this writing. Some schools are attempting to reopen across the board, some are opening fully virtual, and some are attempting a mix of blended, hybrid, covid, you name it.

Teachers around the world are wondering how to plan, what to do, what will happen, and very soon now, we'll all be wanting to know, what happened?

If you have something to contribute to that conversation, please join us at future Learning2gether events, which is where I'll be channeling energies from now on, as we see what happens with TALIN Squared - Teaching and Learning in the New Normal. It has a new superscript, TALIN2, but same hash tag, #talin2020

And incidentally since you appear to be still awake I notice that there is this presentation at MMVC20 tomorrow. Maybe see you there and hopefully on Sunday as well,

Vance

August 7

Friday

11 AM EST

3 PM UTC

Prof. Dr. Ebba Ossiannilsson

The “New Normal after Covid-19”

Password: 927099

Transformation and a Paradigm shift in education

Join webheadsinaction@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.